Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If you don't care about solo or coal, what does German RR offer than American RR does not? New boards with each, more variability with each, etc.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any reason to get German now that this is out?
grandslam wrote:
If you don't care about solo or coal, what does German RR offer than American RR does not? New boards with each, more variability with each, etc.

Thanks.

The German boards are modular, you choose and build out your rail bonuses as you play. It's my favorite expansion so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
grandslam wrote:

Thanks.

The German boards are modular, you choose and build out your rail bonuses as you play. It's my favorite expansion so far.

I like this aspect but I though that the coal and the drivers were unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
German Railroads expands RR immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Re: Any reason to get German now t.hat this is out?
I guess the question is whether American RR expands Russian RR as much as German RR if you exclude solo and coal. I get that German RR is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I guess the question is whether American RR expands Russian RR as much as German RR if you exclude solo and coal. I get that German RR is great.

If we exclude Coal and Solo, then it's about the same amount of expansion, but plays entirely differently from the base or German expansions. Each expansion gives the game a different feel, and set of puzzles to explore. I recommend getting any expansion that includes new player boards for that very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmb
Firstly dont exclude coal - playing with coal is like playing with a different board so you have RR no coal, RR coal etc. etc. Coal gives amazing combo potential and is really good fun I do not like to play with coal every game but I really enjoy my games with it. Rule wish it only takes a minute or so to explain the extra elements.

Secondly having extra engineers and an extra ? 4 gold token adds a good amount of variety to each map you use them in. Now some of the extra components only work with coal but there are still a few extra engineers that are good to add to your game.

However I am not sure I would rush to get GR if you have AR because there is so much to explore in each map that unless you play the game a lot you might not need too many maps. The GR map is amazing and has a huge amount of variety and replayability baked into it but you might find that with RR and AR you have enough to explore.

I do wish they had thrown in an extra engineer or two with AR but I have really enjoyed my initial play of it. I will need to do many more plays to see which map I like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason to get German Railroads is that it's different from the base game and American Railroads and is very good, which are not invalidated by the existence of American Railroads. I'm honestly not sure if I'm fundamentally missing something about what is being asked here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:

Thanks.

FWIW you can play solo with the base game. There's a KILLER web app that manages the solo player for you:

http://klangfarbe.github.io/rrr/

It's seriously good. Every solo game should have something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks to everyone!

It was an inartful phrasing, but I was wondering if the German RR boards and the American RR boards were similar to different Power Grid maps, in that if you don't care about the coal or the solo, they were equally interesting and American costs less. So why not get Russian RR then American then German, rather than Russian then German then American, as they were released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Thanks to everyone!

It was an inartful phrasing, but I was wondering if the German RR boards and the American RR boards were similar to different Power Grid maps, in that if you don't care about the coal or the solo, they were equally interesting and American costs less. So why not get Russian RR then American then German, rather than Russian then German then American, as they were released?

They are like Power Grid maps in the sense that you approach each one with an eye for different strategy. However, where the comparison breaks is that you're competing with opponents for worker placement spots, not necessarily spaces on your own board. Choosing the right strategy to counter your opponents point generation and then getting to the right sequence of workers placed is key.

German Railroads: Can you choose the right combo of modular tiles to build upon the existing track? If playing with coal, how much should you depend upon it?

American Railroads: (Played once) Getting to the stock market raises commits you to a specific strategy, however, you can also generate huge points from joining the middle and bottom rails. It plays more similarly to the base game with the addition of a Stock Market (shared) track.

If you like the fixed layout of Russian Railroads, buy American Railroads first. If you get tired of the same track layout every game and want new strategies with each track, get German Railroads.

IMO they're both excellent. Just a choice of play style preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent analysis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.