Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to chit chat for suggestions. My two boys have plenty of aunts and uncles that want to get them presents, but the last thing we need are more physical toys. So I figure we might ask for well wishing relatives to get them some comic subscriptions for Christmas.

So. . . What comics might be appropriate for 5 & 7 year old boys. They have no problems reading chapter books and are well beyond their grade levels. Personally I'm partial to Marvel as it's what I read growing up, but DC or something else would be alright. I think Spidey is better oriented towards younger readers, but I'm out of touch.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
For better or worse, they make all sorts of comics based on current and past tv shows: Adventure Time, Teen Titans, Simpsons, Bob's Burgers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooby Doo (published by DC) is harmless, though maybe a bit advanced for the younger one. It's cheap by subscription. Bongo Comics publishes Simpsons and Futurama, and they are really really great (though a bit naughty), but they have a no subscriptions policy (designed to get people to visit comics stores or newsstands). IDW is publishing the Disney lineup, but I don't know if subscriptions exist, and I couldn't determine this by Googling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately comics have priced themselves out of the kids market for the most part. No kid wants to spend 3-4 bucks a month of precious allowance for something they will read in 15 min. If you search for DC comics rated E you can find what they are putting out currently.

Squirrel Girl from Marvel is pretty amazing right now.

Usagi Yojimbo recently came back from a hiatus, but it features quite a bit of cartoony death and violence (not especially gruesome, death is usually represented by a skull in a speech bubble.) It's been one of the consistently best comics for years now.

Lumberjanes is fun and awesome but it has a grrl power angle that might not appeal to young boys, or they might not even notice. It's about a summer camp plagued by weird monsters.

One resource you don't want to neglect are the boxes and boxes of backissues at most comic shops. Often you can get stuff at or below cover price, probably even from the era of comics you remember fondly. For 40 bucks you could get a stack of comics and give them out as rewards or just dole them out one per week.

There are silver age reprints that are appropriate, but they are always in black and white which kids don't seem too fond of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
JoshBot wrote:
Scooby Doo (published by DC) is harmless, though maybe a bit advanced for the younger one. It's cheap by subscription. Bongo Comics publishes Simpsons and Futurama, and they are really really great (though a bit naughty), but they have a no subscriptions policy (designed to get people to visit comics stores or newsstands). IDW is publishing the Disney lineup, but I don't know if subscriptions exist, and I couldn't determine this by Googling.

Going to second this. IDW is currently mining decades of non-US stories, instead of reprinting Barks, Rosa, and Gottfredson again. It is surprisingly good, and there is just soooo much stuff out there for them to print, and it isn't dumbed down either. Seems very competently translated as well, with modern production processes and values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at Bone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Scooby Doo might be the perfect answer. Thanks, I might try that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommendation for Adventure Time.

My son subscribed when it first came out and still loves it. It is extremely well done. Great artwork, funny - sometimes laugh out loud, and they do some really bizarre and creative things with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only a couple of these so it won't work as a subscription, but look at the Sticky Burr graphic novels. A neat story and lovely art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.