Subject: Cover art: "Sting" glowing BLUE instead of RED... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo,

I recently happended to read LoTR again (after Years).

When nearly caught at Weathertop and confronted with several Nazgul - lead by the With King himself - Frodo draws his Sword Sting - glowing RED.

Interesting, that the Illustration on the game Cover (and it is really a beautiful Cover by John Howe) the sword is glowing light blueish...

Maybe here the Illustration was inspired by thr Films of Peter Jackson.

Anyone ideas to that? I did not notice all those Years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remembered Sting glowing blue in the presence of orcs/goblins. Didn't remember that near the Nazgul it glowed red, if asked I would say that either Sting doesn't glow at all near Nazgul, or it would glow blue. Perhaps the artist had the same thought?

(I don't think my memory is from the movies. I read the books many times, but only saw the movies once, so I think my memory from the books is stronger!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe in that part of the story the sword Frodo is carrying is a Barrow-blade given to him by Tom Bombadil - not Sting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea...Frodo didn't have Sting on weather top. He got it after meeting Bilbo in Rivendell which was after weathertop.

If your version mentions Sting maybe it's a printing error? (Can't imagine those happen in a non-translated version of the book but maybe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
I believe in that part of the story the sword Frodo is carrying is a Barrow-blade given to him by Tom Bombadil - not Sting.

Oh, good point. Bilbo gave Sting to Frodo in Rivendell, which was after weathertop. So Sting does glow blue, the cover is correct, we can all rest easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:

D'oh! Of course You are right!

The weapon Frodo wears on weather top is NOT STING (he will get that from Bilbo in Rivendell)but a blade from the barrow wrights!

Still it should glow RED acoording to the book - not BLUE.
I agree with You, that the blue colour was probably inspired from the movies (Freedom of the Artist!)

Anyway - great Artwork (Box, Playing pieces, Playing Cards...) and a really Good game - an alltim classic for me.

Thanks for the quick and enlightening answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
Yea...Frodo didn't have Sting on weather top. He got it after meeting Bilbo in Rivendell which was after weathertop.

If your version mentions Sting maybe it's a printing error? (Can't imagine those happen in a non-translated version of the book but maybe)

No no, it was not a printing error, but my mistake.
It is the blade of a barrow wright - but it glows red

Greetings from Germany, Reinhard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
Maybe here the Illustration was inspired by thr Films of Peter Jackson.

Or (rather) this game's illustrator (John Howe) might be the most famous and acclaimed Lord of the Rings illustrator who was, after all his illustrations, also hired for the movies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.