Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6 states that as an advanced variant anytime a score token passes an unresolved event it is immediately stacked on top of the next event token, meaning a game can last fewer then five rounds. The scoring section on page 12 then seems to imply this a regular rule. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjt890 wrote:
Page 6 states that as an advanced variant anytime a score token passes an unresolved event it is immediately stacked on top of the next event token, meaning a game can last fewer then five rounds. The scoring section on page 12 then seems to imply this a regular rule. Am I missing something?

Where does it mention an advanced variant?

rulebook, pg 6 wrote:
Reveal the next stack of unrevealed Event token(s) and immediately resolve them, one at a time, from top to bottom.
Note that on the first turn of the game this stack will just consist of the Event on the first Event Spot on the Score track. However, if a player’s Score token passes any unresolved Event tokens on the track, the passed Event tokens are immediately stacked on top of the next unresolved Event token on the track.
In this way it is possible on later turns that there will be more than one Event token on the same spot.

The rule is as stated, if you pass an unresolved event on the score track you move it to the next available stack shortening the game by 1 round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6 Underneath the resolve events box. Could I have a new edition of the rules possibly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules in the files section here the "advanced variant" isn't there so it must be a new rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjt890 wrote:
Looking at the rules in the files section here the "advanced variant" isn't there so it must be a new rule.

Possible I suppose. But neither the FAQ or the printed Rulebook I have in my copy have any such text.

Maybe
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
or
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
could shed some light on the rule change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah even the rules on the Portal Games website haven't been updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
Pjt890 wrote:

Are you sure you read "advanced variant"? This is the rules I show for this section and I have a new game.

Reveal the next stack of unrevealed Event token(s) and immediately
resolve them, one at a time, from top to bottom.
Note that on the first turn of the game this stack will just consist of the Event on
the first Event Spot on the Score track. However, if a player’s Score token passes
any unresolved Event tokens on the track, the passed Event tokens are immediately
stacked on top of the next unresolved Event token on the track.
In this way it is possible on later turns that there will be more than one Event token on
the same spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That text is separated off in my rulebook in a box with the title advanced variant. It then is contradicted in the rules for scoring. Bought my copy yesterday in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Taylor

Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the text describing the scoring contradict your version of the rulebook? My rulebook doesn't have this as a variant but a normal rule. Under scoring it says you reveal all of the event tokens on the next unrevealed stack. If yours is the same then there is no contradiction; it would just be written in such a way that it covers scoring both with and without the variant (as per your rulebook).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The "advanced variant" gives an option that is made a strict rule later in the scoring section. So, there is basically no "variant", at least to my understanding of the rules.

My rulebook (game bought in Essen) has the same issue and we struggled quite a bit due to the different wording

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Taylor

Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vizegurke wrote:
The "advanced variant" gives an option that is made a strict rule later in the scoring section. So, there is basically no "variant", at least to my understanding of the rules.

My rulebook (game bought in Essen) has the same issue and we struggled quite a bit due to the different wording

I guess I am just wondering: what the exact wording is in the scoring section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book has been updated with subsequent printings. This is why some of you see this (newer customers), and some of you don't (earlier customers). As you might expect, we have been making improvements to the rule book to take advantage of some of the feedback many of you have provided.

The Aftermath expansion will have an alternative game mode that does away with removing rounds from play when you bypass Events. But, the new mode in Aftermath comes with additional content, so it isn't just a rules thing. What you're seeing here is not that.

I have contacted Portal to find out about this variant so I can provide precise support.

My assumption:

Less Complicated Variant: If you pass an Event token, you do not stack it. You only resolve one Event per round, and the game always lasts exactly five rounds.

Why this is useful: This makes the game a little bit easier for Machine and Pilgrim players, especially those who are less experienced against Human and Trog Players.

I've found in my experience that this is how the game tends to play out once everyone at the table is experienced regardless (aka curtail the Humans and Trogs in early rounds so they don't go bananas), but this will definitely help new machine players get their (ball) bearings.

Note: Good Machine players with this Variant will kick a lot of butt. So, you may find yourselves needing to curtail the machines, not the Humans.

Advanced Variant: If a player's Score marker passes an unresolved Event, place that Event on top of the next unresolved Event. At the start of the next Round, resolve Events one at a time, from top to bottom. This removes one Round from the game Every time an Event is passed.

Important Disclosure So I don't have people yelling at me: "Oh my god why don't you know what changed!" Well, I'm just the designer. I'm effectively a contractor in California working for a company in Poland, and now Germany (hello Portal Germany!) on a big game. I help out with the rule book, expansion design and testing, and all that, but I'm not the guy who oversees manufacturing, or distribution, or customer service, or any of that.

As I said, I'll get clarification here. Typically I would have just waited until I got clarification, but this thread is seeing a lot of traffic. I don't want you fine folks to worry. Unfortunately, this is the weekend and folks aren't working right now. So, I'll get back to you.

Love and Trogs,
grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
Can we get a file posted in the file section of the most recent rules booklet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rderderian wrote:
Can we get a file posted in the file section of the most recent rules booklet?

I don't have it. But, I will ask.

(I have access to the web file for edits and such, but I don't have access to THE PDF)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick reply Grant, really looking forward to trying this one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a pain. I feel sorry for Grant. This isn't helping with the confusion in the rule book already. Thanks Grant for trying to sort out this dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
What a pain. I feel sorry for Grant. This isn't helping with the confusion in the rule book already. Thanks Grant for trying to sort out this dilemma.

Nah, not a big deal. There is a good reason or a mild mixup at worst here. It'll all be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.