5 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Weakness in the starting hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daigotsu Calim
msg tools
Hi,

I must have missed something as I can't find anything about this even though if feels like an obvious question, but I do wonder how weaknesses interact with the starting hand and the mulligan option.

1. If I draw a starting hand with a weakness in it, can I mulligan it away ?

2. If I mulligan into a (basic) weakness, do I have to resolve it at the beginning of the game, or can I somehow shuffle it back for free ?

It does somehow feel strange to have one in your hand when the game starts, and it seems it could be very hard to overcome an enemy weakness engaged with you as soon as you start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Campbelltown
NSW
flag msg tools
It's covered in the learn to play reference, page 4:

If a weakness is drawn in your opening hand, set it aside instead of adding to your hand, draw an additional card and shuffle the weakness back into your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
You cannot start the game with a weakness in your hand or played to the table whatever (specific scenario/campaign rules notwithstanding). Assuming there are two weaknesses in a starting deck of 33, after your opening hand is drawn and mulliganed, you will have a deck of 28 cards and there *will* be two weaknesses in those 28 cards.

If you draw a weakness in your first five cards, take out the weakness and then immediately replace it. Now you consider your mulligan. If you draw a weakness as part of your mulligan cards, put to one side and replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daigotsu Calim
msg tools
Thanks for the answer.

I usually like the split rulebooks from FFG, but for some reason, I'm just struggling with this specific one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Russell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I agree, the learn to play book and rule book leave a lot to be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.