Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heyo all,

Magic Realm was, note I say 'was', one of my white whale games. It has been ever since I saw it years ago in on a second hand games shelf in a dusty comic store. I didn't buy it then and as the years went on it just kept gnawing at me until it finally reached a point where I had to start taking steps to acquiring the game.

Well the day has finally come and I can now say that I am the owner of a used, but very functional copy of Magic Realm. It's not perfect, but I'm not super picky so it works out for both of us.

Not sure when I will have time to learn to play, but really that's not the point. The point is I CAN now learn to play when I do have the time. So, yeah, that's pretty cool.

A quick question though: The game was missing 2 small chits, the Visitor/Mission - Revolt/Quest chit, and the Number - 1 chit.

Does using a proxy affect the game play at all? Obviously I'd like to have the original chits, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about that as I'm not paying for another copy just for 2 chits.

I'd also like to say that one of the reason I kept thinking about this game was the amazing community of players. To see the rules rewrites, the various files(which I've already downloaded and printed out) for players to use to aid them in their quests, etc...well it's pretty cool.

- Raider30

ps: I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this, but has anyone else finally picked up a copy of this kind of rare game and then immediately started thinking, 'geez, I bet someone reprints this...' pp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beau, contact Teresa Michelson at the Magic Realm Parts Shoppe (http://www.tarotmoon.com/MRParts/mrparts.html) and she should be able to get you your missing chits,

Welcome to the Realm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are like songs: you never get tired of playing the best ones over and over, and you can enjoy them all by yourself.
badge
I was a child prodigy at tic-tac-toe. Now I never lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on finding your "great white whale." Now comes the task of mastering it.

The missing chits are no problem at all; just make new ones once you know what they look like (nothing much to 'em). You can play entire games without those two chits anyway.

In fact, if you don't mind playing on the computer, you don't need the tabletop game at all. Just use RealmSpeak. It saves a lot of setup time and enforces the rules to help you learn. You can also use it for PBEM games.

Whatever you do next, welcome to the wonderful world of Magic Realm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats. I just got mine earlier this year. Have been playing for 10 years via realmspeak though.

The Book Of Learning is great for learning the game. A real comprehensive tutorial. (and its fun to read, I have read it at least 4 times)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Realm! May you have many adventures and not die too horribly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamininja wrote:

But that's part of what makes it so fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the realm. Its magic may give you years (or maybe even decades) of fun without feeling old (game or you) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Goddard
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, WELCOME to the Club of the Magic Realm enthusiasts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gexthegecko wrote:
benjamininja wrote:

Pushing that one more phase diving into the Pool to get just one more Treasure..
Being picked up by the Giant Octopus and torn limb from limb before the pieces are dropped into a gaping maw...

You call that fun ?!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Yes! That is so fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gexthegecko wrote:
benjamininja wrote:

Truly from time to time I feel that MR is a roguelike ... YASD ... in the wild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:
gexthegecko wrote:
benjamininja wrote:

Pushing that one more phase diving into the Pool to get just one more Treasure..
Being picked up by the Giant Octopus and torn limb from limb before the pieces are dropped into a gaping maw...

You call that fun ?!?!?

Have you ever driven the octopus to the Inn and then ...? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ulfhethnar wrote:

I once sent a spider to the Inn.

Nothing happened as Monsters do not attack the natives, in this case the Rogues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I once absorbed the essence of a T Dragon, and then broke the spell at the Inn.

What you can't do is be hidden and hire a native at the Inn with a monster present, as the newly hired native will be attacked.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulfhethnar wrote:
mixykym wrote:
gexthegecko wrote:
benjamininja wrote:

You call that fun ?!?!?

.... buying a round of drinks for an Octopus......... Expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srschacher wrote:
I think I once absorbed the essence of a T Dragon, and then broke the spell at the Inn.

What you can't do is be hidden and hire a native at the Inn with a monster present, as the newly hired native will be attacked.

Steve

Not really Hire or Trade. Instead I can first Hide with the Octopus in a corner. When the Rogues show up and Evening begins, the control on Ock expires. Then I cast the control spell again on the Ock during the first combat round while staying hidden (using the Ambushes rule). Now I can have my pet Ock lure and attack the Rogues HQ starting from the second round. There is a good chance that Ock gets the (dirty) job done before serving as a special menu in the Inn.
If things go well I can call it a day, sit back and continue to watch the Octopus vs. Rogues deathmatch. Perhaps it's even better to have my Ock fight to the death at the spot to minimize further threats and prepare for the looting fest the following day.
After sun rises again, I can take the liberty to claim the new pile of Horses and Treasures. Just remember to Hide first (or Move out of the clearing as the last action) because the Rogues will now start thinking of avenging their poor leader's death. The Inn now turns into a lucrative site, perhaps even more valuable than the lavish Pool. Of course after that I can choose to go back to swim in the Pool if that tile is not so dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

California
msg tools
mbmbmb

The Octopus at the Inn?

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The caption D
Quote:
The action this time takes place on a golf course, where a giant sea monster emerges from a water hazard to wreak some havoc, which a 9 iron just can't handle. But it's not the sea monster's behavior but that of the announcers that serves as the punch line here.
(AdWeek August 11, 2015)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.