$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When this game came out in retail, I picked up both boxes, had quite a bit of fun, but became bored rather quickly.

I have not followed what all the expansions do, but here are my problems with this game and I wanted to know if this new core-game solves anything of it.

-) Is there some addition that in your opinion makes combat strategically and tactically more challanging, like some kind of AI different attack types or the like? (it seems that there are again only melee monsters in the game, which seems like more of the same)
-) Are there some kind of mechanism introduced to easily keep track of all the elite abilities? Did they streamline the monster-growth mechanic?
-) Are there some kind of item-tiers introduced, so you get the really good weapons really late in the campaign? or is game-balance somehow tied to item-progression?
-) Have they added something to help keeping track of all the character-stat-modifications and the like?
-) Did they say anything about what they are changing/adding from a gameplay perspective?

thx in advance
regards
DA_Maz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

1. Is there some addition that in your opinion makes combat strategically and tactically more challanging, like some kind of AI different attack types or the like? (it seems that there are again only melee monsters in the game, which seems like more of the same)
2. Are there some kind of mechanism introduced to easily keep track of all the elite abilities? Did they streamline the monster-growth mechanic?
3. Are there some kind of item-tiers introduced, so you get the really good weapons really late in the campaign? or is game-balance somehow tied to item-progression?
4. Have they added something to help keeping track of all the character-stat-modifications and the like?
5. Did they say anything about what they are changing/adding from a gameplay perspective?

1. They have added Stay-at-Ranged and Ranged-to-Melee behaviors for different expansion monsters. They introduced terrain and cover for both the players and AI in the Trederra expansion. They introduced a high-ground mechanic for fights in town.

2. Nothing new. Just tokens you place on the monster matts.

3. Loot acquisition is no more or less balanced than it was before, but the new monsters scale up MUCH better and present a more consistent challenge, no matter what loot the party has.

4. Nothing new. I'd use the fan-made character sheets available here on BGG.

5. Forbidden Fortress seems to include a number of enhancements that came with expansions for SoB. Monsters that belong to various factions, the different behavior AIs I mentioned above, more varied and difficult monster abilities that help negate certain OP character builds and strategies, spell casting monsters, and some sort of terrain/cover/barrier feature built into the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
When this game came out in retail, I picked up both boxes, had quite a bit of fun, but became bored rather quickly.

I have not followed what all the expansions do, but here are my problems with this game and I wanted to know if this new core-game solves anything of it.

-) Is there some addition that in your opinion makes combat strategically and tactically more challanging, like some kind of AI different attack types or the like? (it seems that there are again only melee monsters in the game, which seems like more of the same)

There are additional AIs (Shootout and Assault) Tredarra also has cover and Officer units that can have tredarran units following different orders each turn and like the Serpent men has a set of nationallities that change up how they play a bit.

Other than that there are several Monsters (Swamp Slugs and Guardians of Targa as examples that have ranged attacks they use on top of thier normal AI, Tredarrian Legionnaires from the Tredarran Expansion have one they use on top of their shootout AI)

And there are things like the Masters of the Void with their spell deck.

Forbidden Fortress's Acid Tentacles are a ranged attackers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:

There are additional AIs (Shootout and Assault) Tredarra also has cover and Officer units that can have tredarran units following different orders each turn and like the Serpent men has a set of nationallities that change up how they play a bit.

Other than that there are several Monsters (Swamp Slugs and Guardians of Targa as examples that have ranged attacks they use on top of thier normal AI, Tredarrian Legionnaires from the Tredarran Expansion have one they use on top of their shootout AI)

thx for your insight.

As much as I can gather from your answer though, it seems like the Forbidden Fortress box doesn't feature monsters that have spell cards or different AI stances.

So gameplay addition wise Forbidden Frotress adds one ranged enemy and terrain that seems to make ranged attacks even better (you can see through, but can't move through).

This means if I want to up the gameplay this box isn't the right choice for me right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
dahak wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:

thx for your insight.

As much as I can gather from your answer though, it seems like the Forbidden Fortress box doesn't feature monsters that have spell cards or different AI stances.

So gameplay addition wise Forbidden Frotress adds one ranged enemy and terrain that seems to make ranged attacks even better (you can see through, but can't move through).

This means if I want to up the gameplay this box isn't the right choice for me right?
there isnt much information available yet.

the harionago miniboss and the living statue might have spells but that is speculation.
from the stretch goals, the goryu and the thunder warriors are more likely to have spells/ranged attack abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

All we know so far on that is there are more ranged attackers in the base box:
Quote:
For instance in the Core Set of Forbidden Fortress, the Acidic Tentacles spit acid at the Heroes and the Harionago can lash out with her Hair at a distance.

I suspect you might find Tredarra a better bet for more complicated combat, though FF's enemies are supposed to be more of a challenge than the original two boxed sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.