$30.00
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as soon as the escape officer has his/her 1st escape equip card? (esp in a 2 player game)...

your guards as back in the game so quickly, and the POW's might go a long long time without rolling doubles...you could quickly have almost all (or all) of their POW's arrested very quickly...

thanks...

(also...don't have the new rules right in front of me...but a roll of doubles allows you to move just 1 POW out of jail, or all?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacky Blue
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't arrest POWs in safe areas. POWs therefore (once they have equipment) basically move between safe areas to avoid being arrested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
You can't arrest POWs in safe areas. POWs therefore (once they have equipment) basically move between safe areas to avoid being arrested.

Agreed. Had my first play yesterday and I waited until I could grab 2 ropes and a wirecutters in one shot so that my guys could move freely around until I had all the equipment I needed. After that it was waiting until I got a large enough roll to move all the way into some rooms/safe areas.

About half the game was really just waiting for a large enough number to be rolled so you weren't walking around in areas you could be arrested.

OP is right though in that getting as many pawns in solitary is good for the Security Officer. The other Escape Officer in our game had 4 of his pawns in there for much of the game. Even if he did roll doubles, there were times when he got his guy out, but not far enough away and was just rearrested the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rules allow for that.

p8 Arrest section
Quote:
The only exception to this rule are POWs who have been released from the outer solitary cells - if their Escape Officer has no equipment, and uses as much of their movement as possible to move the POWs towards the inner courtyard, those POWs are exempt from arrest.

Of course you would still be liable for arrest if you had equipment. Would that have helped the other player in your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
We are finding that the Germans have very little trouble winning, especially if they DO arrest everyone who is eligible to be arrested. In the most recent game our group played, one player got one prisoner out, and then most of the rest of his nationality spent the game in solitary, so he was stuck. If you're arrested in the outer area, the German can keep things bottled up by simply placing a guard between the outer Solitary and the inner courtyard. Any player with escape equipment can't get their prisoners safely from the outer solitary to the inner courtyard at all, even with a good roll. So, the German just arrests them again if they come out. If they don't have any equipment, they can't get past the guard, so they're still of no use in making equipment.
I think the problem is that the bottleneck between the outer Solitary and the path to the inner courtyard should have been made a "no stopping zone" for the Germans. Otherwise that bottleneck technique is just too easy for them.
I did get one prisoner out, as did the trapped player. Even with the German player being sloppy about other escape routes, I couldn't get a second prisoner out without a huge roll, which never happened. I needed a high roll to get to the staff car from a safe zone, and never got a roll that high over the final dozen turns of the game, even with doubles. The German player never even bothered to dismantle the rope escape routes, because with guards on the ground it took a roll in the 20s to give a good chance to break through the cordon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game played out similar to our play:
- POW made it out of outer solitary just to sit in the safe zone 12 spaces away from the staff car
- ropes weren't removed from the Guard House since that eliminated POWs from solitary heading their to hole up

I need a few more plays to figure out a better POW strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smithnik wrote:

I think the problem is that the bottleneck between the outer Solitary and the path to the inner courtyard should have been made a "no stopping zone" for the Germans. Otherwise that bottleneck technique is just too easy for them.

I haven't played yet, but isn't there a rule that says an Escape Officer could 'force arrest' one of their pawns by moving it into a guard. Wouldn't this potentially free the blocked space since the guard would be moved to the commander's office?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. That is the job of "The Cooler King" to go kick guards in the shins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a long discussion about this last month. I think it's a real problem with the RAW. Everybody gets locked up and stays locked up.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658449/rules-questions-2016...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
The "sacrificial" prisoner trick only works if the Allied player gets lucky. You're sending one of your pawns back into solitary in order to get one or more prisoners safely back into the inner courtyard, but getting your guy back out of solitary is the actual bottleneck. Any prisoner taken out of action means you have fewer options for what you're doing next.
If there are several prisoners coming out of solitary at the same time, or blocked in the same corridor, then it might be worth it, statistically, to sacrifice one in order to get the others free. I tried the same trick to get one into the safe space near the staff car, but then never got the die roll necessary to reach the staff car.
Our group finally had an Allied victory in the game, after several, but it took an extremely high roll by one of the Allied players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.