Dean Stephen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
do i need any of the other expansions or can i just get them in any order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions all only require the base game. Any order will do.

Some of the components from expansions can be combined; others not. Those that are for one expansion only (some in Gates of Arkham, Omens of Ice) have an icon that so designates them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjarke Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'd go for Unseen Forces first, as it adds more to the core experience of both the base game alone and with other expansions. Gates of Arkham on the other hand doesn't offer much unless you are playing that expansion.

They both have extra cards that can be used for the base game and other expansions but all the ancient ones, most other world cards and several items from GoA either cannot be used or at least introduces confusing icons and rules unless you play that specific expansion.

And if you love dies (if you don't you shouldn't be playing this game) you probably want the blessed and cursed dies from UF. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean,

you can get them in the order of your choosing. Keep in mind a few pointers, tho:

- Gates and Omens of Ice are significantly harder than the core set or UF
- Unseen Forces introduces the Cursed and Blessed mechanics that can (it's not compulsory, tho, it's just an option) be used with Gates and the two Omens
- Gates introduced the Skill mechanic that is to return with Omens of the Deep (but not with Omens of Ice)
- Omens of Ice introduces the concept of staged adventure, so that you have two different decks of adventure to represent the progression of the story

so, even if there's no fundamental reason to get those in order, I'd still get them in order: UF to complete the core and unlock Cursed and Blessed dice (always used in all future expansions); then Gates because you can easily mix it with the base game to smooth the challenge level and use all the components of the game (it's a houserule, tho, but it works), and because you unlock Skill cards; and finally the two Omens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia,
I'm new to the game but bought everything so far.

You mentioned a house rules to use All components of gates and base?

I remember reading hoe to combine those two were almost impossible.

WHAT OR WHEREORDER IS THE HOUSE RULE?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Just skim this section of the forum for threads about combining Gates with the core set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Julia,
I'm new to the game but bought everything so far.

You mentioned a house rules to use All components of gates and base?

I remember reading hoe to combine those two were almost impossible.

WHAT OR WHEREORDER IS THE HOUSE RULE?

Thanks

Easiest way is to play Gates of Arkham but add a seventh adventure for the Museum and replace it with another Museum card when that adventure is solved. It makes the game marginally easier as you have an extra choice, but it's worth it, as all your Museum cards won't go to waste this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.