Dean Stephen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
do i need any of the other expansions or can i just get them in any order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unseen forces adds some elements of gameplay that all go in the core game without much more ado - and will interact seamlessly with other expansions.

Arkham Gates and Omens of Ice each incorporate major gameplay changes that work with the core game and Unseen forces alone, but not with one another (these two expansions work a bit like mods, like for a video game).

So if you take Omens of Ice and only have the core game, go for it ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider also how the difficulty changes with the expansions:

- Unseen Forces is the easiest: basically the difficulty level of the core set is mantained (well, it's made easier, but let's not beat a dead horse)

- Gates of Arkham is the most difficult; locations are nasty, Mythos are nasty, some of the new AOs could give you nightmares for several years

- Omens of Ice is slightly easier than Gates (not much, and if you play on winter it can be brutal)

It's also worth noticing that skill cards introduced in Gates will return in the coming Omens of the Deep, so, you may want Gates to expand further the Omens of the Deep experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only base game is needed for the expansions.
Omens of Ice and Gates of Arkham are stand-alone expansions (i.e. cannot be mixed).
Unseen Forces is an expansion for the museum base game.
You can of course intermingle GOO's, investigators and items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravazul wrote:
Only base game is needed for the expansions.
Omens of Ice and Gates of Arkham are stand-alone expansions (i.e. cannot be mixed).
Unseen Forces is an expansion for the museum base game.
You can of course intermingle GOO's, investigators and items.

This isn't entirely accurate/clear.
UF is wholly compatible with and supported by all the other expansions.
You *can* intermingle GOO's, but the ones from Gates and OoI have symbols on their doom tracks that are a little weird if you aren't playing the expansions they came from. (I.e. why are there snow storms *inside* the museum?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
(I.e. why are there snow storms *inside* the museum?)

A cursed Athabaskan exhibit hosted at the local Museum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
- Unseen Forces is the easiest: basically the difficulty level of the core set is mantained (well, it's made easier, but let's not beat a dead horse)

You never know, it might be playing dead, always best to make sure whistle .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.