Subject: Card-based strategy horror/mystery game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mirza Rachmat
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a game in progress about storymaking on horror/mystery genre. The players are competing for points that can be gained by simply play a card in a storyline and gain coins or claim a storyline. Each storyline should have 6 mandatory cards, character card, exposition card, rising action card, climax card, falling action card, and resolution card.

There are some rules on storyline building:
1. Every character card is the start of a storyline.
2. Every character card has to be followed by a exposition card.
3. Falling action card can only be placed after climax card.
4. Resolution card can only be placed after falling card.
5. Rising action card and climax card can be place anywhere in the middle of storyline.

Each character card has different sanity level that has a limit to 0. If sanity level goes to 0, the storyline has to start over. The character card goes back to the bottom of character deck and the action cards (expositon, rising, climax, falling) go to the discard pile. Climax card usually lowers the character sanity level, but you get coins in exchange.

To claim a storyline, you have to place resolution card in the storyline and then you keep the character and the resolution to score points in the end of the game. The game ends if all of the character cards have been claim by players.

To start the game, players will start with 4 action cards and 1 character card. Player begins a turn by draw an action card or character card. Each turn, player can only do 3 moves which is placing a card in a storyline. Player can only have 8 cards in their hand after each turn, will have to put the extra cards in the discard pile.

Right now, the narratives in the action cards have been mysterious and mostly rated R since I put a lot of death in it. I used mostly horror movie cliches. If you have comments, please let me know and be as cruel as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see much strategy here, as it all depends on the cards in your hand and luck of the draw; especially with the restriction of playing order.

I think there are too many actions in a turn and the hand size is too large. You start with 5 cards, keep it that size.

So to get a better picture:
how many cards in the game?
can a story line be reclaimed by other players or only by the first one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirza Rachmat
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
I do not see much strategy here, as it all depends on the cards in your hand and luck of the draw; especially with the restriction of playing order.

I think there are too many actions in a turn and the hand size is too large. You start with 5 cards, keep it that size.

So to get a better picture:
how many cards in the game?
can a story line be reclaimed by other players or only by the first one?

Thanks for your feedback. I also think 8 cards on hands is too many, maybe next playtest I'll with 5. What do you mean by too many actions? You mean the 6 mandatory cards are too many or 3 moves in a turn is too many?

So I have 13 character and resolution cards because they are there to determine the end of the game. I have total of 84 action cards.

Any player can claim their own storyline or others storyline. This is to have some competition. Players can also put action cards to others storyline and make them lose sanity level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.