Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Immediately after each time you take an action in which you use a longship, you can draw 1 weapon card from the face-down draw pile and place the weapon card face up in front of you.

Does this mean that you
A) Select an action, take the weapon, do the action (and may use the new weapon if suitable)
B) resolve the action completely, take the weapon afterwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Quote:
Immediately after each time you take an action in which you use a longship, you can draw 1 weapon card from the face-down draw pile and place the weapon card face up in front of you.

Does this mean that you
A) Select an action, take the weapon, do the action (and may use the new weapon if suitable)

The answer is B). As indicated on page 9 "You must use an action space immediately after you occupy it." Once the step is complete you have "taken an action" and you can get the results of your occupation card.

Official ruling below: It is A)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

I would say A) because I saw similar questions here and the answer was that. In addition I think the purpose of the card is get more opportunities to get a sword card to use it with the longship you are going to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

I would say A) because I saw similar questions here and the answer was that. In addition I think the purpose of the card is get more opportunities to get a sword card to use it with the longship you are going to use.

My point exactly. The job is supposed to give you a bias/benefit toward using determinate action. Going by the rulebook RAW I'd take it is "b", but then it's a bit worse for a 0 points job.

The Spanish appendix reading makes it a clearer case from B, but Spanish rule books are full of errata, so I don't give them much weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

The answer is B). As indicated on page 9 "You must use an action space immediately after you occupy it." Once the step is complete you have "taken an action" and you can get the results of your occupation card.

I question this since you can, for example, play an occupation card between placing 3 Vikings and using the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

I question this since you can, for example, play an occupation card between placing 3 Vikings and using the action.

Do you mean that you select an action space, then play a conditional card that its condition is play the action space you are about to execute, then the card effect is executed because the condition has been met, and finally you perform the action space? I wonder if this is correct.

Maybe it's time to get an official structured sequence of events when you play or execute a card to see tthe correct timing of events, because I see we're getting a lot of questions about the correct way to use the occupation cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

The key word "after" in the text of the card makes me think it would provide the benefit "after" the action has been taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

The key word "after" in the text of the card makes me think it would provide the benefit "after" the action has been taken.

Yes, but it maybe enough to place your vikings there to "take" the action. "Doing" the action maybe something else then "taking" the action.

Not sure how this will be ruled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, while you're at it, this question about occupations timing is still waiting: Conditionals in 4-Vikings arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

Do you mean that you select an action space, then play a conditional card that its condition is play the action space you are about to execute, then the card effect is executed because the condition has been met, and finally you perform the action space? I wonder if this is correct.

Maybe it's time to get an official structured sequence of events when you play or execute a card to see tthe correct timing of events, because I see we're getting a lot of questions about the correct way to use the occupation cards.

I'm not sure. I just mean something can interrupt the placing Vikings part, and the doing action part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
alexandermagno wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

I'm not sure. I just mean something can interrupt the placing Vikings part, and the doing action part.

Except in that case the playing of an occupation card is one of the actions you get for taking a three-viking space. I am still inclined to believe that the card in the OP takes place after you take an action involving a long-boat. The wording seems pretty clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

Now I think is B) because I've found this in the rules (page 21):

"Some cards—like the Priest—explicitly state whether the
card comes into effect before or after you meet the condition.
(The Priest, for instance, gives you the oil before the action,
in case you wish to use the oil right away during the Overseas
Trading action.)
"

Then I think the weapon card is received after you completely execute the action, so if you have enough lucj you can recover the sword you maybe have used in that action. So reverendunclebastard gave the correct answer from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Quote:

Does this mean that you

The intention of this card is A).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.