Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first review posting. Coincidentally, this is also my first game purchase which was driven by the positive feedback from fellow BGG'ers.

OK, down and dirty, here we go......

Box - The bright yellow color, and cool artwork practically scream "Buy me! Play me!!" It also made a very satisfying "box fart" upon opening. A good sign.

Board - Light cardboard. Different terrains are easily identifiable. The hexes tend to slide around on the playing table. (How to solve that - suggestions?) The Monolith was disappointing - cheapass card stock. Must find suitable replacement.

Bits - Cool, neon colors, not your usual dull tans, greens and greys. Fairly easy to tell different units apart, although the transparent material makes some detail hard to see. Two of the units (Lava Leaper & Rubium Dragon) eerily resemble Pokemon. A note - I've seen some reports about a strong odor from the pieces. Although there was definitely an odor, it was not nearly strong enough to be a problem.

Rulebook - Excellent! Full color, high gloss paper, well ordered, with the table of contents right on the cover.

Ease of setup - Some minor difficulties with placing the base hexes for a four player game. This was finally remedied by orienting the rulebook to the map (duh!) Other than than, the set up is very easy, because you don't start with any units on the board.

Order of Battle charts - referring to Axis&Allies, the OOB's are a sort of cross between the unit build cost charts, and the battleboards. A unique feature is the reverse attack order. (see more below)

Gameplay - Fairly simple and straitforward...on the surface. First one to 12 Victory Points, wins. However, the game presents many unique options:
1. When determining a battle, only like units roll at the same time. If an opponent has a unit that you do not have, it will attack unopposed. Likewise for the defender.
2. If a defender/attacker dies before it gets a combat roll, too bad! - it's dead, and doesn't get a chance. This requires thought when determining which unit dies - it's not always the easy choice of "the cheapest unit" (puny humans)
3. Secret Mission cards. - These cards set special conditions which, if met, can gain additional VP's
4. Unusable cards can be turned in for income ("rubium") to buy more units (Do I save the card, and hope to be able to use it, or trade it for units?)
5. The Monolith - It gives advantages, but is not necessary to win the game. (Is it/is it not worth the effort/cost?)
6. # of players - We played with 4 players (see Session Report "Be Quick, or Be Dead", for details) This leads to situation where you turn and attack to your right, and the player on the left stomps you. Turn to the left, and the one on the right pounces. Attacks must be planned very carefully. This made the game very fun. It will be interesting to see if the fun translates down with 3, or 2 players.

Last point - there are several large cardboard pieces in the box, that aren't part of the board. You have to figure out on your own, that they fit together to form a bits storage tray, as it is not mentioned in the rulebook. Once you get it together, it works very well.

Overall impressions - Extremely fun game, easy to learn, lots of choices, and plenty of replayability. Only a few minor problems, with lots of plusses. I absolutely do not regret this purchase, and am looking forward to many sessions with this game. I would encourage anyone who is thinking of trying this to go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks to all 'geeks who reccommended this game!

-GA-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Review. I'm looking to pick this up as my first BGG inspired purchase too. From what I've heard of it it sounds a bit like a Settlers (of Catan) with combat. Is that about right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reviewer said: "Board - Light cardboard. Different terrains are easily identifiable. The hexes tend to slide around on the playing table. (How to solve that - suggestions?)"

I say:
Whenever I have slippery game tiles, I just go to target and for a buck or two get a roll of that rubbery material used to line drawers, shelves, etc. It comes in tan colors, white, black. I've even glued it on some of my print and play game boards which I laminated, making them slippery. I'm thinking of also using it to play games like Wings of War which has cards that slip a lot on game tables.

It can be found in Target, walmart, grocery stores etc in the kitchen departments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, that monolith is pretty important for keeping those Energize cards flowing and launching dragon's breath and attacks in all directions. It's been the key to every game we've played. As someone pointed out elsewhere on this forum, you can always get a sheet of clear acetate and make your own monolith (using the original as a template.) That way you can see the lurking Rock Strider behind it. Most annoying when you don't realize its there until too late.

Thanks for the reminder about the card exchange. Always forget that one, and Rubium gets pretty tight when you lose a mine or two.

Nice review. This one came in with little expectations and has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. For us, its played very well with two and three also, though with three, you'd better have thick skin because its easy to feel like you're being ganged up on (because you are!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

I say:
Whenever I have slippery game tiles, I just go to target and for a buck or two get a roll of that rubbery material used to line drawers, shelves, etc....

It can be found in Target, walmart, grocery stores etc in the kitchen departments.

I was actually thinking of that stuff myself. Now that I know it works, I'll go pick it up. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Good Review. I'm looking to pick this up as my first BGG inspired purchase too. From what I've heard of it it sounds a bit like a Settlers (of Catan) with combat. Is that about right?

Mostly. The mechanics are slightly different. Settlers uses the borders between hexes, while Nexus uses the hexes themselves. However, the random setup of the hexes at the beginning is identical, and the "feel" of the game is very similar.(IMO, of course) Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
However, the random setup of the hexes at the beginning is identical, and the "feel" of the game is very similar.(IMO, of course) Good call.

Sweet, I'm trying to move some of the gamers I play with towards more war game style games (not that I don't like Euros, I love 'em, but sometimes I just need to get my Killing on) and this game sounds like a good cross over.

BTW: 'Box Fart'. Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aube
Canada
Ste-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Mostly. The mechanics are slightly different. Settlers uses the borders between hexes, while Nexus uses the hexes themselves. However, the random setup of the hexes at the beginning is identical, and the "feel" of the game is very similar.(IMO, of course) Good call.

I bought "Conquest of the Fallen Lands" and this is exactly how it felt (Catan with combat - good game by the way). Does anyone know how they compare (Nexus and Conquest of the Fallen Lands)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whenever I have a game that slides around the table, I just put on a tablecloth. It's a lot easier than gluing anything to the back of the pieces to keep them from sliding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls