Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
M√ľnchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the review here on the geek, it looks like Wooden Ships and Close Action are very similar games. Can anybody show up the differences? Which game is more complex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Action is miniatures rules with a map and countersheet, so very different and more deatiled than WS&IM, which is a 30-year-old design and it shows. Flying Colors is essentially a more accurate version of WS&IM presented as a modern design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
Close Action is miniatures rules with a map and countersheet, so very different and more deatiled than WS&IM, which is a 30-year-old design and it shows. Flying Colors is essentially a more accurate version of WS&IM presented as a modern design.

WS&IM is also miniature rules converted to map and counters, the rules were called 'Ship of the Line'. CA seems like WS&IM on steroids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an older thread, but I'd very much agree that CA seems like advanced/refined WS&IM. The games feel very similar to me, but I like CA better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
I know this is an older thread, but I'd very much agree that CA seems like advanced/refined WS&IM. The games feel very similar to me, but I like CA better.

Could you be more specific?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is an older, older, thread, but, anyway, here is a link to the designer of Close Action explaining the differences between his game and WS&IM.

http://www.grognard.com/reviews1/closeaction.txt

It is very enlightening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls