Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are many geeklists regarding this topic. However, looking through those long lists can be tedious, and some are out dated.

1) Please list your favorite aerial combat game. It can be WWI, WWII, Modern or Sci-Fi. As long as its got flying fighters/bombers its kosher, but games like Axis and Allies, where planes are just one of the many pieces, doesn't count. It must be an air combat game, though not strictly a "dog-fighting" game.

2) Please also list your most anticipated aerial combat game which has yet to be released.

ALSO: To make it easy for people to see and link to, please enter your game choice with the "Game" entry button on top, so the entry is linkable and blue..like this:

favorite: Wings of War: Famous Aces (love the whole series)

most anticipated: Duel in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'm a big fan of Wings of War: Famous Aces, Blue Max, B-17: Queen of the Skies and the Rise of the Luftwaffe series, but I would have to say that my favorite aerial combat game is Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series and most of the others in that series. It is fun and quick and it puts you in the game nicely. Sometimes, when playing, we put ourselves in the middle of a room (possible even with chairs) and reposition based on the positions of the planes.

2) As for most anticipated, I think I would have to agree about Duel in the Dark. It looks very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a tough time getting myself to play aerial combat board games. I simply can't justify it when I have a PC that can render that era in exacting, immersive detail. For the very same reason, the board game Frag makes me go "Waahhhhh?". Why would you play Frag when you can load up Unreal Tournament?

That being said, I *do* own the Wings of War series, though I haven't really been able to play it due to a lack of opponents. The new minis have me itching to give it another shot.

And the Down In Flames series interests me a bit. Abstract aerial combat as a card game interests me, though I have no experience with those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoyed Crimson Skies. The old WizKids (cough, cough, gag...can't type their name without getting ill) game. The minis were well done, the gameplay wasn't that bad. Always had fun playing it with the kids.

That, and Wings of War: Burning Drachens. Can't really go wrong with Wings of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
My favs would be Dawn Patrol and Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series. I've played some jet era games that always leave me cold. It's hard to model dogfighting at that speed and at those distances on a reasonable board that has enough realism to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the game.

I am toying with the idea of learning Canvas Eagles and introducing it to my group. It's not a high priority right now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series.

The original first person shooter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson Skies FASA and Crimson Skies WizKids are fun, although the two incarnations are truly different games made for different gaming populations. I'm not one for the ultra-realistic flying games. Too much detail ruins the feel of flying "by the seat of your pants", IMHO.

Wings of War: Famous Aces is fun (light weight game), and so is Canvas Eagles (light-middle weight game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces, and Whistling Death. I play and lose both, regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
canvas eagles handsdown, aerodrome is also decent. if you want grand scale then it is burning blue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces (rotary) - my first & ONLY choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will davies
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Superiority Is my favorite. Modern air war. Though I have not played in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aerodromeand Aerodrome IIseem good also, though I have not played them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So to sum it up thus far, the choices for peoples favorites in number of entries currently are:

1) Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Deluxe Edition series

2) Wings of War: Famous Aces series

3) Crimson Skies/Crimson Skies

4) Canvas Eagles

5) Aerodrome

6) The Burning Blue

7) Dawn Patrol

8) Whistling Death

9) Air Superiority

10) Rise of the Luftwaffe/Zero!//Down in Flames: WWI

11) B-17: Queen of the Skies

12) Blue Max

13) Wings

Most anticipated:

1) Duel in the Dark

2) Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II

3) Aerodrome II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
favorite: RAF

One of the best treatments of the Battle of Britain, and one of the best solitaire games ever designed.

This is an operational-level game, so the aerial combat is more abstracted than in many of the other games mentioned here... but managing your exhausted RAF squadrons is quite a challenge in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably tell by my badges that I'm a Wings of War: Famous Aces fan, though I'll admit to having played fewer dogfight games than I might like.

I'm of course interested in Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II, but I'm probably even more interested in Duel in the Dark.

ETA: Oh, I should add that, as is also obvious from my avatar area, I'm a Federation Commander fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Richthofen's War
Blue Max
Mustangs
Battle of Britain
B-17: Queen of the Skies
RAF
Rise of the Luftwaffe
Hornet Leader
Star Wars: Star Warriors
Silent Death
Renegade Legion: Interceptor

Oh, my...how can I pick just one? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for anything in the Wings of War: Watch Your Back! Series as well. It's fast and fun and I haven't played a bad game of it yet.

Also, put me down for Air Superiority, Air Strike, Desert Falcons, Eagles of the Gulf!, and The Speed of Heat. Basically anything in that series as well. It is definitely the heavier simulation type of wargame but I enjoy it, too.

I'm not really anticipating much, unless it is the new Wings of War: Miniatures and the WWII version Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O
United States
Encinitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Mustangs when played as a miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Max is my favorite. with the disclaimer that it is the only one I've ever played. Still, if you find something you like, stick with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one's named Air Force with Air Force Dauntless Expansion Kit. it's a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja Ace of Aces--Handy Rotary closely followed by Ace of Aces--Powerhouse. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dauntless/Air Force...or you can switch the order, I suppose. We started withe Dauntless, and added the planes from Air Force later, is what I recall.

Sure, it's not nearly as fast as a sim...but it's not a twitch game, either. And it's hard to beat when it comes to portaying the different performance capabilities of the different planes.

Next would be Richtofen's War. It does for WWI what Danutless did for WWII for us. We played with the maneuver cards from the General, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces Handy Rotary and Powerhouse series are unbeatable for head-to-head WWI. Too bad it's all in the flip books and multi-player dogfights nigh impossible. And it's OOP.

If you want a 1/144-scale spectacle for multiple players with the eas eof Ace of Aces, Wings of War is unmatched.

I have tried Canvas Eagles and the AirForce/Dauntless systems but find the pace of play unacceptably slow for what is achieved.

Sortie is worth a peek if you are a staunch euro/abstract gamer or a grognard that can dig unorthodox systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love "Bag the Hun" (WWII) and "C21 Airwar" (Modern)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Sci-Fi was allowed...and the requirement was that it needed to be fighter/bomber based, I have to go with Hard Vacuum, as well as its expansions as my favorite.

In terms of an actual terrestrial-style fighter based game, I'd have to go with Air Force/Dauntless, since it seems to model the flight characteristics so well.

Most anticipated: None, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |