Thunder in the Ozarks» Forums » Rules

Subject: Close Combat Cohesion Test Table question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
The CCCTT (to save writing it again) has the same color-coded categories of the Fire Combat Table, but it also has a white, Close Fight, section at the very top. I'm confused how and when that gets used? Turning to the CRT, I see the red-yellow-green, and the cohesion rating numbers within them, but I don't see any color/number section that would necessitate rolling on the Close Fight section of the Close Combat Table? What am I missing? (There are a lot of special/exceptional/chromey things going on in the rules that I'm struggling to get my head around, so not surprised I'm missing stuff. Thanks!

ps Second question--can a lone artillery unit really potentially withstand a close combat attack by an infantry regiment? No automatic overrun, or am I missing that, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bradley! Thanks for buying the game.

1) The "Close Fight" section is used whenever you are resolving a Close Combat and get a no effect result on the CRT. In other words, a straight "-" result or the CR of the defender is not within the given range. In Fire Combat, that result is just a "miss" and no effect. However, Close Combat can never end in a "no effect". You always have to roll some kind of Cohesion Test and when there is no colored result, roll on the Close Fight section. There, bad things can happen to the attacker.

2) A lone Artillery unit certainly has the possibility of standing up to an Infantry assault - but it's not likely if the infantry gets through the canister. There's a four-column shift right for the infantry and if artillery gets broken, it can't come back into the game. So it's not a good idea.

Thanks and please post any other questions you may have.

Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi:

For question 1, "When is the white background "Close Fight" section used," first check section 14, second bullet on page 12:

"A Close Combat Cohesion Test is ALWAYS required, regardless of the result on the Combat Results Table. If a "No Effect" result is achieved on the CRT, this is termed a close fight result and still requires a reference to the Close Combat Cohesion Test Table under the "Close Fight" column (and these results may effect the attacker as well as the defender."

In other words, there is no "No Effect" results generated by the Combat Results Table when you are assaulting your opponent. When there is only Fire Combat there is a chance combat will have little or no effect on the situation, so a dash means the traditional "No Effect," but when it's Close Combat there is much, much less of a chance no one will emerged unharmed. So dashes in an assault on the Combat Results Table (the front chart) means "check for a "Close Fight" on the back chart when you are assaulting your opponent's troops. Think of "Close Combat" as Melee. There just has to be a section that turns out poorly for the attacker in a melee, and this is it.

As for question 2: There are no automatic overruns, but a lone artillery unit that survives an assault should chip in and buy lottery tickets. Check the DRM's under Close Combat (Melee) Shifts: "50%+ SP are artillery FOUR shifts rightward (and remember DRM's are cumulative.) Also see page 13, section 14.2 (4) the CRT Column Shifts section in the rules.

I hope this helps,

- Fred

PS: Herm is a quicker writer than I am. I was editing my response when he was posting his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.