20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which game schould I purchase ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: thisorthat [+] poll [+] [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like TtR, T&T, Catan, Cleopatra etc. Schould I purchase The Pillars oh the Earth , Yspahan or Jenseits von Theben? What cpould I like? Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you with Jenseits von Theben, but given your taste in games I would choose The Pillars of the Earth over Yspahan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what he said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say just the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pretty hard to say with certainly what you "could like" but I think they are all good games worth trying and I personally rank them like this:

Pillars of the Earth
Yspahan
Jenseits von Theben

Very close among the first two and I'd actually probably give the edge to Yspahan as a recommendation to you personally as it's a little lighter IMO.

Some other good ones I'd suggest from looking at what you own/rate that are in the same league in terms of quality and weight:

Samurai
Ra
Modern Art
Tikal
YINSH
Santiago
Mykerinos
Notre Dame
San Juan
Traumfabrik
Blue Moon City
Vegas Showdown
Jambo
Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. The problem is , that I like many of them, but I cant buy all of them now. Thats why Í wanted Your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got the possibility: Go to a local gamestore, ask if you can have a look at the game or even try it.
Read the rules online to get a better idea of the game (I know... only geeks do that , but maybe you're just slowly becoming a geek )

I'd prefer Yspahan. Havn't played Jenseits von Theben yet, but replayability of Yspahan is imho higher than Pillars of Earth (I own both).
Also I think Yspahan plays better with two players - if thats an argument for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth
Yspahan

Are both covered on boardgames with Scott.

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/

Give em a look an see for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say get Yspahan. If you want a Pillars-type game, I would get Caylus. Its tighter and just overall better.

But, given your tastes, I would go with Yspahan. (I need to pick that up myself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in terms of 'weight', i would say Yspahan. That's the lightest of the games i know(i dont the know german titled game). As the games you listed as enjoying i would rate as very light.

However, those are all 'good' games and likely to work out well for your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three.

I'm least impressed with Yspahan. It's ok, but it's a lot of dice rolling and turn order matters quite a bit. Of course, it's rotating. But, I really didn't like that so often you NEEDED a certain die roll and even if it came up, you'd only be able to use it if you were start player. So, it felt like you were always having to plan for your second best move.

I really enjoyed Pillars. There was a lot going on. You had a lot to choose from. Turn order was important, but there seemed to be plenty to do and you could fight for turn order if that was improtant to you. But, I couldn't help but feel that the same actions would start to form and that over time it might get boring. (Don't get me wrong it's in the mail right now for me to own).

But, for my money, JvT was the best. It's interesting and somewhat unique. You choose how long you are you spend doing things so start player doesn't matter. Things come up randomly, so it's not quite the same each time. It's been a real hit around here (this is however the 2nd edition we are playing).

I'd go with JvT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Yspahan with the free version for your computer. Go to the Yspahan page and go down to Links. You can play Pillars on BSW. Pick the one you like better. Or if you like neither buy JvT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Given your taste in games, I'd say you'd probably enjoy all three. My order of preference is:

1. Yspahan
2. Jenseits von Theben
3. The Pillars of the Earth

Pillars is not a bad game, but it violates the rule that luck should be inversely proportional to weight. In other words, for the amount it requires me to think, it has too much luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I've played all three.

I'm least impressed with Yspahan. It's ok, but it's a lot of dice rolling and turn order matters quite a bit. Of course, it's rotating. But, I really didn't like that so often you NEEDED a certain die roll and even if it came up, you'd only be able to use it if you were start player. So, it felt like you were always having to plan for your second best move.

I really enjoyed Pillars. There was a lot going on. You had a lot to choose from. Turn order was important, but there seemed to be plenty to do and you could fight for turn order if that was improtant to you. But, I couldn't help but feel that the same actions would start to form and that over time it might get boring. (Don't get me wrong it's in the mail right now for me to own).

But, for my money, JvT was the best. It's interesting and somewhat unique. You choose how long you are you spend doing things so start player doesn't matter. Things come up randomly, so it's not quite the same each time. It's been a real hit around here (this is however the 2nd edition we are playing).

I'd go with JvT.

I agree with everything that Mike says though I dislike Yspahan a little more I think. I've played the JvT 2nd Edition, the upcoming 3rd edition should be a definite improvement (the components at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looking at it from yet another point of view (or 78 more points of view actually)... here are the average ratings from everyone (78 users) who have rated all three games so far:

1 Yspahan 7.569
2 The Pillars of the Earth 7.566
3 Jenseits von Theben 7.425

Pretty much a dead heat between the top 2 with JvT not far behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read quite a lot at BGG, Spielebox and others listed by Luding. I believe I am "a geek". I play usually with my kids-6 and 10, and with my husband, which hates dices. Online are the games quite cheaper, and when I go to a lokal schop, he,the owener, will espect, that I buy a game, not only look at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!
I believe I buy all 3(1 a month) in the following order:
Yspahan
The Pillars...
Jenseits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Iglika_t wrote:
I believe I buy all 3(1 a month)

Ahhh, the first step on The Path of the True Geek is realizing the futility of choice: buy them all.

The next step, young master, is understanding the efficiency of immediate gratification: buy them all NOW. The more you spend, the more you save.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
Iglika_t wrote:
I believe I buy all 3(1 a month)

Ahhh, the first step on The Path of the True Geek is realizing the futility of choice: buy them all.

The next step, young master, is understanding the efficiency of immediate gratification: buy them all NOW.

And save on shipping.

(gonna save save save you money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls