Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Anderson posted his thoughts located here:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/star-trek-ascendancy-t...

Like others before, ST:A is recommended but this review warns of the potential issues with game length (even with experienced players), expected to-and-fro between 3 players and a price tag that puts it out of subspace range for some trek fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wasn't considering buying this game, but two things ended up pushing me over to buy it this past weekend: 1) The Ars article (Ars is a great tech/geek site); and 2) Been playing Civ 6 a lot.

The one thing that has been keeping me from owning long games such as this is that most of my friends can only sit through a single session of maybe an hour or so. There are some great games that fit that bill just fine, so we've enjoyed those immensely. And sometimes we do have two or three sessions of them. But having some friends that also play Civ, I could think of a few that would be willing to try this, and I convinced myself there could be repeat plays as well. So I splurged.

Reading through the rulebook, the mechanics themselves aren't complex. But yes, it will definitely take some time to play.

Having said all that, I am really interested in two-player variants as getting two other friends who can simultaneously devote that amount of time and interest will probably not be frequent. And it looks like there may be some good two player modes out there already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kicked the tires on it with my GF the weekend after I got it. We set Ascendancy to win at 4, placed 15 inches apart instead of 18 and just went through the motions and still had a really good time just learning it.

That said, you'll never get the 'feel' of what it's about without that third or even fourth/fifth player.

It's a long game by design, but I find it's not nearly as mentally taxing as other 'big games.' They've really nailed the "30,000-foot-view" with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.