Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played twice but we now have some confusion over warp movement. Not when you have an existing map, but the suggestion in the rules that you can leap into the void, place lanes and systems, and eventually stop/leave warp at the one you choose to explore.

Is this right? Huge difference if it is!

Example. You are on Earth. You build up say four warp points. You jump to a theoretical system, place the lane and system and a face down card if appropraite but dont have to stop. Repeat until you decide to explore.

There is no clue on the GF9 page but if an official rep is here, please get this clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The rule is very clear in the book. Placing a new system always ends your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you place a new system, you automatically explore it and have to stop. I don't know where the idea of putting systems face down comes from?

Edit: too slow - but still true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't need an official ruling on this. Page 13 of the rulebook states that discovering a new system always ends your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules word by word and I think some of the rules are missing the word "existing" with systems. There are also confusing plurals.

There is a strong indication that a space lane can be placed on EXITING warp, and an image that shows one lane and system being added. Given that you are exiting warp and enering a system, this ends movement. So the answer, for me, is one.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It came from my mate Paul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg 11. Discovering and placing a new system always ends movement.

Missed that.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also should consider this...

page 11

"For all intents and purposes, Ships at Warp are not on the board until they Exit Warp."

My rationale is that if a ship is not on the board, it is not able to reveal a new system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

sumo wrote:
There are also confusing plurals.

I agree this is a factor to the confusion.

Though I agree with the replies above that the wording on page 11 clears it up ("Entering a New System always ends your movement..."), the plural use of a few words on page 13 could cause confusion:
"When a Ship Exits Warp, it can travel through a number of Systems. As part of this Movement, the ship can place new Space Lanes and Systems." (emphasis mine)

Note the plural use of "Lanes" and "Systems" after the qualifying adjective, "new".

But still, the very next sentence repeats the rule found on page 11. So while it's clear that a ship must stop when entering a new system, I see where the OP is coming from - in that it's a "hazy" clarity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Mcilroy
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The use of plurals is not wrong, It's for later in the game when the map is more developed. Like if you built a fleet on your home world and wanted to move it through explored systems to get it to the place needed on your map. It can also be used to bypass already discovered hazards and on to previously explored sectors. Quite useful really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.