Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric deRuiter
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing a Key Event Card, does the first one ever "go away". The rules don't explicitly indicate what happens when you draw a key event that doesn't get auto-discarded if another key event is already in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They go away as soon as you go into the next stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Croskery
United Kingdom
Copthorne
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an official ruling? - I can't see this anywhere in the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was clarified by the designer in another thread, though I don't recall which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably needs to be added to the FAQ. Good catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sillygamer69 wrote:

It's written in the Key Event cards, it's the last phrase in the bottom of the card "Remove it when the next Stage begins"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Paulo. That's where I remembered seeing it. Thanks for helping me know that I'm not totally losing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric deRuiter
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
sillygamer69 wrote:

It's written in the Key Event cards, it's the last phrase in the bottom of the card "Remove it when the next Stage begins"

But there are two types of key events. Some say "If a Key Event is in play, ignore and discard this card, then re-draw" on the top of the card. The other type have on the bottom of the card the text "Before the next event step, move this Key Event to the side of the board. Remove it when the next Stage begins."

With that info only one type (bottom key events let's call them) that clears away at the end of a stage. If you end with a top key event at the end of a stage presumably it would stay and if the next key event drawn is a top then it would be discarded. Since there are these two types that limits how many will enter play and shortens the game by making it more likely that discarding key events will happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You would always remove the "bottom type" key event anytime you enter the next stage, so it will not affect any cards in that next stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ridogi wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
sillygamer69 wrote:

But there are two types of key events. Some say "If a Key Event is in play, ignore and discard this card, then re-draw" on the top of the card. The other type have on the bottom of the card the text "Before the next event step, move this Key Event to the side of the board. Remove it when the next Stage begins."

With that info only one type (bottom key events let's call them) that clears away at the end of a stage. If you end with a top key event at the end of a stage presumably it would stay and if the next key event drawn is a top then it would be discarded. Since there are these two types that limits how many will enter play and shortens the game by making it more likely that discarding key events will happen.

No... there's only 1 Key event in each stage...

those cards that say at the top "If a Key Event is in play" aren't key events... those are normal event cards that don't get played if a Key Event is in play...
Thematically is the game saying, this important thing happened so that event you just drew won't happen because of that, discard it and draw a new event.

Mechanically is a way to speed up the game and put more pressure on the players...

But those are not Key Events, the rulebook clearly states that there's only 1 Key Event in each stage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
msg tools
mbmbmb
An additional question on key event cards, just to see if we played it correctly.

We drew a key event card as the first card in a stage and of course put it aside for the rest of the stage. Then however, the next 5 cards in that stage, said to skip and redraw.

My question is that I assume you just keeping drawing as we did and then 5 cards was just skipped before any player movement again.
I assume this is the correct way of doing it?

Certainable adds a lot of luck to the game, though, the placement of the key event card in the deck really really means a lot then. I am not saying it's a bad thing, but you could be very unlucky that the key event cards in all the stages are placed as one of the first 3 cards and then all the stages will be really really short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You redraw each card that says to redraw because of the Key Event. There is no limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.