BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Pandemic vs Eldritch Horror vs Mage Knight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
So my friend is between these 3 games. 50% of the time he will be playing solo, the other 50% he wishes to play co op with his sister.

Which game would you recommend?

Which game you think has the most replayability out of the 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably recommend Mage Knight. It is, by far, the most difficult to learn of the three, but it also has a tremendous amount of replay value. Eldritch Horror is pretty good as well, but you really need an expansion or two to keep it interesting for the long haul. Pandemic is probably the shallowest of the bunch in terms of replayability and depth as a solo game, so I'd recommend against that one unless he is new to gaming.

You can't go wrong with Eldritch or Mage Knight. Eldritch is probably a little better as a cooperative game, and Mage Knight is probably a little better as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror has the most variety and replayability..

Pandemic is simpler and fun, but doesn't change much game to game.

Mage Knight is just plain boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I enjoy both Mage Knight and Eldritch Horror solo.

I enjoy Eldritch far more than Mage Knight when playing with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is the best 1-2 player game out, but it is a heavy beast and not for everybody. Ricky Royal has done a number of play list of videos doing playthroughs for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
All great choices, except that I think Arkham Horror is a much better game than Eldritch. (Not that I think Arkham is necessarily a better choice, though, in this situation.)

I think Pandemic, especially with an expansion or two, will be the easiest off the ground. I think it is very replayable with the different characters and adding in things like the purple disease. Solo play is great, controlling 2-3 characters, and it's a great challenge that you can improve at over time.

Mage Knight is a monster. Depends on his (and his sister's) level of patience and gaming comprehension. But it's also wonderfully deep and immersive. For me, Mage Knight gets worse with each additional player. Solo is best. Two players okay. And then 3 and especially 4 is just a slog.

Eldritch would be a good midpoint between Pandemic and Mage Knight, but might depend a bit on the theme. There can also be a pretty high randomness factor as well, which may or may not matter, but which is definitely not an issue in that sense for Pandemic or Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage knight is the odd man out here. Great game, but if they are also considering pandemic then it's out realistically.

Eldritch vs. Pandemic is a decision between dry strategy (they did not mention wanting to buy an expansion.) and thematic dice hurling.

Eldritch clearly has more variety in the base game so I recommend that.
Bonus:
Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont really like soloing EH, but would prefer EH for 2p than MK. Pandemic is an amazing game, but much lighter.

And that's the heart of the determining fact for me on this issue. If he is not a seasoned gamer, MK could make his head explode. If he wants to play a game in under an hour, Pandemic is the only option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domi Mooser
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, agreed. MageKnight is definitely the best Solo Game out of those 3, Eldritch Horror is the best coop (out of those 3). And Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu is just super cool, it's Pandemic with Eldrith Horror Theme. I got all of them, would recommend your friend does that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all so very different. Much will depend on your friend's taste.

For me, personally, Pandemic is my favorite game, and Mage Knight is in my top 3. I like Eldritch, but not well enough to own my own copy.

Pandemic is fun if you like puzzley games. Mage Knight is fun as an immersive campaign. I can pull Pandemic out, set it up, and be done within an hour. I'll play multiple games in a row. Mage Knight is a weekend-long endeavor. Set up is long, and frankly, by the time I finish a long campaign, I sometimes wish I had chosen a shorter one. Still, there's nothing like Mage Knight, and it's really a fantastic game. Pandemic is just a bit more accessible and easily played, which is why it's my #1. Eldritch is just a little too random for my tastes.

Finally, Pandemic is equally fun solo or multiplayer, and Mage Knight is better solo, in my opinion. It's AP-prone, and personally, I don't want someone to watch me while I mull over my cards, and vice versa. Eldritch, to me, is more fun with other people.

So, given that your friend wants to play with his sister as well as solo, I would say Pandemic is the strongest choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele

Gallipolis
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pandemic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror has the most replay value for me.
Lots of stories to be had with all the variable cards.

Pandemic second. Lots of fun, but not that different between games.

Mage Knight gets boring quickly. I wouldn't play it with more than one person, because turns can go on forever. Mage Knight is more like accounting than actually playing a game for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is the best solo game on the market.

However, for 2p coop with his sister, there are plenty of better options than Mage Knight, including the two suggested games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.