Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite frequently I see posted here and on other forums the question of which Shadows of Brimstone products a new player should be buy first?

As a public service, I'm going to post the answers here for all future players to refer to before embarking on their buying spree of this wonderful dungeon crawler game.

1. One of the core sets-Well, that pretty much went without saying, didn't it?

2. The other core set-Still pretty obvious answers here, admittedlymodest.

3. The Frontier Town Expansion-This is set is agreed by every Shadows of Brimstone player online to be the first expansion you should get after you have both core sets. It doubles the number of possible locations in town, gives you far more options on town visits, has a board of the town for you to use in the six Town Missions which come with the expansion, and features Bandits, the first of the Ranged Enemies (at least if you don't count the Targa Plyons that came with "City of the Ancients").

4. Masters of the Void-This Deluxe Enemy Expansion gives you Void Hounds, which are a solid new Enemy, and Void Sorcerers, which are an absolute must have! Like Bandits, Void Sorcerers are ranged Enemies, only instead of puny six-shooters, they use Void Bolts and a deck of very interesting Void Magic spells! They're one of the best enemies in the game, and because this is a DELUXE Enemy pack, it includes new Mine Encounters, Mine Artifacts, and two new Missionssurprise!

5. The Serpentmen of Jargono-Before you venture into the Other World: Swamps of Jargono for the first time, you DEFINITELY want to have this Deluxe Enemy Expansion! The Serpentmen are by far the dominant race on the world of Jargono, and not being able to even encounter them when you go there is all kinds of wrong.

The Serpentmen are also one of the most popular Enemies among players, being tough, challenging opponents whatever your Heroes' Level might be. They are even split into six different Tribes, each of which has different skills and abilities. Furthermore, the Serpentmen come with their Shaman spellcaster!

Like the Void Sorcerer, the Serpentman Shaman has a deck of creative, effective spells, but he also has a deck of five Juju Trinkets, special magical items which add to his already considerable punch.

Again, being a Deluxe Enemy pack, this comes complete with more Jargono Encounter cards, Jargono Artifacts, and two additional Missions, both set in the Swamps of Jargono!

6. Jargono Swamp Slugs-These giant, carnivorous, acid-drooling Swamp Slugs make a great addition to the your game and are the last Enemies you need for Jargono. Granted, there is still the Swamp Raptor available, but that is an Enemy so powerful that he should, in my opinion, be among the LAST things you buy, not the first. Unless, of course, you enjoy having your Heroes effortlessly ripped to shreds, in which case do as you will.

7. Custodians of Targa, Trun Hunters, Targa Guardian-Numbers four and five on this list should be purchased before you get to the Swamp-specific Missions. By the same token, the three items grouped here under number seven should be bought before entering the Targa Plateau. These three Enemy types are all native to Targa, and they add a great deal to the theme and challenge of that particular Other World.

8. Harvesters-These very tough Enemies can be found in the Mines and all of the Other Worlds, hence Threat cards being included with them for even those Other Worlds which have not yet been released. They're a fun challenge, and an argument could admittedly be made that they should come just after the Serpentmen in order of purchase.

9. Trederran Raiders-Like the Harvesters, these Enemies can literally be found in every world, as Raider squads scour all of existence in their search for more Dark Stone to feed their nation's war machine back on Trederra. The Raiders get a boost when you buy Trederra, since they can then be from ANY of the six Trederran Nations, not just the Union (the nation with nothing special to distinguish its warriorssoblue). Don't let this fact sway you into getting the Trederra Expansion any time soon, however! Like the Swamp Raptor, the Trederran Expansion should be one of the LAST things purchased, and for exactly the same reason: because it is EXCEEDINGLY deadly!

10. ????-From here things get more than a little tricky. If you're low on money, you could go with the Dark Stone Hydra, an awesome enemy found in Low, Medium, and High Threat decks!

If you've got more cash to burn, a very popular choice would likely be the Deluxe Scafford Gang Enemy set, which gives you Colonel Scafford, six Gang models, a deck of five different Lieutenants to command the Gang, and a deck of eight Hideous Mutations to enjoyably and intriguingly empower some of your Outlaw opponents. Naturally there are also Scafford-themed Mine Encounter, Gear and Artifact cards, along with two more Missions, one of which involves hunting down the Colonel himself in the trap-laden mine which is his lair!

If you're getting the Scafford Gang, you should also pick up the Dark Stone Brutes, since they're mutated members of the Gang.

Then there's the Scourge Rats and their Nest, the Hell Vermin, the Undead Outlaw Dexluxe Pack, the Flesh Stalker and Flesh Drones Deluxe Pack, the Cynder Other World Expansion, the Beli'al Epic Threat, the Burrower Epic Threat, the Sand Kraken Epic Threat, and so on and so on.

By the time you reach number ten, given how many games you must have played, you'll likely know exactly what you want next to add additional fun and challenge to your Shadows of Brimstone experience, but for those just starting out, I hope this list will serve as a useful guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like to receive my complete Kickstarter set. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice list and very helpful. I'm looking forward to Tredarra. Seems like the most advanced and fleshed out Otherworld so far. The basic set two are nicely populated now with enemies. I'd say Cynder is the most disappointing currently with so few enemy types. But hopefully when the succubus' arrive it will be more interesting. Who doesn't like hot women?

For painters there's new resin epic boss minis for the Void Sorcerers & Lizardmen Shaman. They are only available on the web store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, ScottE! I can assure you from my own experience that Trederra is indeed the most advanced and fleshed-out of the Other Worlds available; also by far the most deadly!

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about: During a mission starting on Trederra, our posse of two fifth level Heroes met a Medium Threat on the first map tile we explored, which defeated ussurprise! Granted, it was the single most powerful Trederran Medium Threat card out there and a number of things went wrong, but it's still absolutely unprecedented for our Heroes to be taken down by ANY Medium Threat, much less the very first one we face in a Mission(though admittedly we have yet to meet the young adult Swamp Raptorgulp)!

I agree, but Beli'al and the Flesh Stalker Deluxe set actually do add considerably to Cynder. Turns out the Flesh Stalker and his minions spend quite a lot of time in Cynder.

Hot DEMONdevil women, ScottE! Don't forget that part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.