Subject: Solo?` rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Anderson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of picking this beauty up. As I have two young children, I tend to play a lot of my games solo. How does this work solo? Thanks to all who answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game indeed has a solo mode where you fight an AI called the automa, it's basically cards with commands for the automa to follow, once u learn it ,it's very easy and doesn't require bookkeeping. It has 3 level of difficulty and in the variant section there's a semi official variant that allows you to play with more automas .

Automa is quite aggressive so your in for a challenge !and it's highly customizable

I did a similar thrars here : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1667178/does-game-worth-buy...

You can find more info there !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo mode for this game is solid. It's a little bit confusing at first to figure out the rules of how the bot player decision tree works for expanding its civilization on the board, it took me a play or two to smooth that out completely. After that, no issues.

It also comes with 4-5 difficulty levels for the solo mode, a nice touch that helps keep the game from becoming too easy or impossible to defeat.

I tend to become bored with solo mode fairly quickly in most games, with a few exceptions. This is because I find that many of them play out too similarly from one game to the next. The replayability of solo mode here is above average for me but not stellar, i.e., probably not something I want to play every week but good enough for me to consider bringing out from time to time. I am not primarily a solo gamer. Other solo games that I would personally rate higher than this are:

Terraforming Mars
Fields Of Arle
A Feast For Odin

But these are about the only one's I can think of. Like I said, Scythe is solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the solo rules are initially confusing (definitely play a normal game of Scythe first), it ranks as one of my top solo games of all time. Beating the AI is so much more satisfying than beating yr high score on something like Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steletma wrote:
Thinking of picking this beauty up. As I have two young children, I tend to play a lot of my games solo. How does this work solo? Thanks to all who answer!

Personally, I love the solo play of the game, and I'd rate it a 9 solo. (Though it has grown on me a little at over time, when I first got it I was rating it an 8 for solo play).

Automated opponent, rather than beat your high score, which is done using an 'automa' by Morten Monrad Pederson - His approach to solo variants of multiplayer games is to simulate the player interactions, and abstract away the rest, so for this that means how much combat power it has, what it spends in combat, and where it's units are on the board get automated, while stuff like how many development cubes it's moved down from the top row to the bottom is abstracted away, with a track for playing out the stars that aren't from the areas that the automa tracks that varies by difficulty level. This makes for a very smooth play experience, and - importantly - means you don't have to make decisions on behalf of the Automa, nor do you have to care about things you wouldn't care about except for 'how close are they to finishing that thing?' for a real world opponent because there's nothing you can really do about them.

It also has multiple difficulty levels, for some additional variety apart from the fact that each faction plays out differently when you play it, and the Automa deck sort of simulates that with specific cards that act a little differently when a specific faction uses them - so gets something extra or has an additional movement option if that would be a valid move.

All in all, for me, I'd have felt like I got my money's worth from the game from the solo mode if I wasn't able to play against real world humans ever, but since my husband enjoys the game also it's just the icing on the delicious diesel-punk flavoured cake. Even before factoring in the semi-official rules for playing against multiple automas to simulate a three or more player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summing up:

The question was: Solo?
The answer is: Solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought this primarily for solo play and although I've only got 6 or so games under my belt I definitely feel I'm getting my money's worth.

The Automa provides a good challenge and a number of different difficulty levels. Right after finishing a game I'm thinking about how I could have adapted my strategy for a better result and wanting to go again.

Check out the entries people have posted on the Solitaire Games on Your Table Geeklist (SGOYT) to get some further impressions of how it plays. The SGOYT Aggregator lists all the SGOYT entries for Scythe here: http://sgoyt.onesuponagame.com/detail/game/169786/scythe

Click on the [SGOYT] link to be taken to that entry's details and see what other solo players think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.