BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: After 8 years of Obama, who feels they are better off? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost my job. I also got worse and worse healthcare.
Not that it really affects me, but from what I can see there is a worse racial divide in the country.

What examples do you have of being better or worse off. And if you are worse off and voted for Obama, did you want more of the same with Hillary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Not that it really affects me, but from what I can see there is a worse racial divide in the country.

What examples do you have of being better or worse off. And if you are worse off and voted for Obama, did you want more of the same with Hillary?

Respectfully why do you blame Obama for your company letting you go/lowering your heathcare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Respectfully why do you blame Obama for your company letting you go/lower your heathcare?

Obamas budget plans led to less money available for defense which led to cuts like me.

And if you have to ask about healthcare, have you heard of obamacare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
You are looking for anecdotes? Fine, I am massively better off than I was in 2008. In 2008 the company I was working for were going through massive layoffs, and I knew my days were numbered. Today I am at a new company with 3 years of hyper growth, two promotions and 50% more compensation than I was making in 2008. I am paying about 20% less for my insurance today than I was in 2008, even though the deductible is a tad higher. My 401K has quadrupled since taking a dump in 2007-2008. My market place is doing so awesome right now, I will probably kick out on my own and go into a ground floor startup in the near future, as there is little to no risk to my employment.

Since then I've gotten married and had two kids.

Also, My favorite Cousin was able to marry her wife that she has been with for 25 years and had two children. So what can I say. I was completely happy with the progress we were making under a democratic president.

Thanks Obama!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
TheDashi wrote:
Skyguard wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Respectfully why do you blame Obama for your company letting you go/lower your heathcare?

Obamas budget plans led to less money available for defense which led to cuts like me.

May I ask two questions:
What healthcare coverage would you have had before the ACA when unemployed?
And would you have supported a larger deficit when it would have meant defense spending would have stayed the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:

What part of the ACA do you think lowered your heathcare coverage, not your employer wanting to save money?

On the budget side are you talking about sequestration? If so why are your blaming Obama and not the House and Senate which were GOP controlled when it was passed as an way to stop the GOP from shutting down the government?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Skyguard wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

May I ask two questions:
And would you have supported a larger deficit when it would have meant defense spending would have stayed the same?

Does it compute with the left that spending can be cut in other places to pay for other things? Is it just impossible to cut anything?

I had good coverage through employer. After the aca with same provider the cost went up a lot. Max out of pocket and deductible both went up ten times, and the coverage was substantially worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

TheDashi wrote:

Correction: The title of this thread should have been: After 8 years of the Republicans in Congress deliberately obstructing legislation (including infrastructure -- roads, bridges, & highways repairs and improvements) advanced by President Obama, how could anybody possibly be better off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I had good coverage through employer. After the aca with same provider the cost went up a lot. Max out of pocket and deductible both went up ten times, and the coverage was substantially worse.

Why do you think the ACA did this, vs your employer wanting to save money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

What part of the ACA do you think lowered your heathcare coverage, not your employer wanting to save money?

On the budget side are your talking about sequestration? If so why are your blaming Obama and not the House and Senate which were GOP controlled when it was passed as an way to stop the GOP from shutting down the government?

Why would my coverage suddenly go to shit when the Aca went into effect?
Did the insurance companies get to together and say now is our chance to fuck everyone? Or did the aca make an impact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
And to answer the original question:

Employment petty much the same although with the pay raises I am doing quite well. Health coverage was good before Obama and the ACA did not change anything. Was able to buy a house with the first-time homebuyer credit, refinance to a ridiculous low rate, and send my kids to a great public school. Overall, I have little to complain about that Obama could have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

TheDashi wrote:

Correction: The title of this thread should have been: After 8 years of the Republicans in Congress deliberately obstructing legislation (including infrastructure -- roads, bridges, & highways repairs and improvements) advanced by President Obama, how could anybody possibly be better off?

Did they obstruct obamacare?
The 1 trillion dollar stimulus?
Shut the fuck up
Obama got a lot of what he wanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Skyguard wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Why do you think the ACA did this, vs your employer wanting to save money?

It also depends upon whether his state is participating. After all, a number of Republican governors purposefully tried to sabotage the Affordable Care Act by simply not having their state to participate in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Why would my coverage suddenly go to shit when the Aca went into effect?
Did the insurance companies get to together and say now is our chance to fuck everyone? Or did the aca make an impact?

Because it was 2009-2011 in the middle of the Great Recession and companies wanted to save any money they could find?

Update: If you work for a company that self-insures (all the big denfense companeies do) then your company is the one cutting your health insurance as they insure them self.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Does it compute with the left that spending can be cut in other places to pay for other things? Is it just impossible to cut anything?

No, but cutting the largest and most wasteful portion of the budget is the best place to start. Surely as a fiscal conservative you wouldn't go back on your principles just because it hurts your pocketbook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
TheDashi wrote:
odie73 wrote:

May I ask two questions:

Of course you can cut someone else's income. So they would be unemployed and you would still have a job. Does not change the big picture, though.

Quote:

Not sure if I get that right but it sounds more like your employer wanted to save some bucks by offloading your healthcare benefits to the ACA. Maybe you should complain to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. One or two hiccups along the way (I was unemployed for about a year in 2014), but my wife and I both have better jobs, better benefits, and all that now, and it's generally been a pretty linear upward climb.

About the only real gripe is Bay Area housing prices, but I'm not actually sure I could find a reasonable way to blame Obama for that? That's more a local legislature issue and a market issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

For what it's worth Dash this is just letting the small handful who can somehow justify they're better off vent a bit. It's important, yes, but hardly indicative of the overall disaster this faux-President has been to the nation and the world.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

No, but cutting the largest and most wasteful portion of the budget is the best place to start. Surely as a fiscal conservative you wouldn't go back on your principles just because it hurts your pocketbook?

If you want to cut the largest and most wasteful part of the budget that's pretty much Social Security:

http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/l/119/2016-Estimate

I look forward to your proposals here.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I am far better off. On election day in 2008, I had an infant at home, so I wasn't sleeping nearly enough. My house was smaller, in a worse neighborhood, my wife was making much less, and I didn't have an enjoyable side gig writing about mostly iOS games (nor an iOS device). George Bush was still President, and was at I think the lowest approval rating for a president I could remember, which soured the mood of the country nearly as much as the global financial crisis and past eight years of inaction on climate change which, even then, was coming to seem like it was already a big deal. I felt complicit in the marginalization of a lot of voices for whom we've heard a lot of support since, and I still had cousins in danger of being deployed to Iraq.

TheDashi wrote:
Did the insurance companies get to together and say now is our chance to fuck everyone?

Yes. Honestly, this should be obvious to anyone with an ounce of cynicism. They were handed an opportunity to increase profits while deflecting blame. You think they avoided free money?

TheDashi wrote:
Did they obstruct obamacare?

Yes. That's why they had to pass what the Senate had already passed before Ted Kennedy died. They knew it was an imperfect bill and were trying to get something better, but his death left the GOP with the ability to stop anything at all getting through the Senate, and they insisted they would use it to prevent even a better health care reform package getting passed. At that point, the House had to either take it or leave it, so we have the ACA. Is this not information you already had?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
Ferretman wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

For what it's worth Dash this is just letting the small handful who can somehow justify they're better off vent a bit. It's important, yes, but hardly indicative of the overall disaster this faux-President has been to the nation and the world.

Ferret

Faux president as in "not having won the popular vote"? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

If you want to cut the largest and most wasteful part of the budget that's pretty much Social Security:

http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/l/119/2016-Estimate

I stand corrected.

I retract the words "largest and."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
rinelk wrote:
George Bush was still President, and was at I think the lowest approval rating for a president I could remember, which soured the mood of the country nearly as much as the global financial crisis and past eight years of inaction on climate change which, even then, was coming to seem like it was already a big deal.

Exactly. It is hard to believe people can forget so quickly what a disaster as a president GW Bush was: 9/11, 2 full-out wars and one under false pretense (WMD), financial crisis, Katrina rescue disaster, "Patriot" Act, Halliburton et al cronysm, more tax cuts for the wealthy, imprisonment and torture of foreign nationals, no child left behind, illegal wiretapping, and calling himself fiscally conservative while adding more than $5 trillion to the debt.

Honestly, is there actually anything that was not a blunder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Breaking out A-N-Y "beer & 'pretzels' game"? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
rinelk wrote:
George Bush was still President, and was at I think the lowest approval rating for a president I could remember, which soured the mood of the country nearly as much as the global financial crisis and past eight years of inaction on climate change which, even then, was coming to seem like it was already a big deal.

Exactly. It is hard to believe people can forget so quickly what a disaster as a president GW Bush was: 9/11, 2 full-out wars and one under false pretense (WMD), financial crisis, Katrina rescue disaster, "Patriot" Act, Halliburton et al cronysm, more tax cuts for the wealthy, imprisonment and torture of foreign nationals, no child left behind, illegal wiretapping, and calling himself fiscally conservative while adding more than $5 trillion to the debt.

Honestly, is there actually anything that was not a blunder?

One (maybe the only) good thing from the W administration was PEPFAR, The President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief. It has done a lot of good, gotten a lot of HIV-positive people the retrovirals they need to stay healthy, mostly in Africa.

Otherwise I agree with your list and would add even more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.