BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: How to log games with expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
How do you log games with expansions here in BGG? Log only in the game page, only in exansion page or both? Or do you just put, for example, on log details/description? And if there are many (sometimes only one card/token/tile type) expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpcordeiro wrote:
How do you log games with expansions here in BGG? Log only in the game page, only in exansion page or both? Or do you just put, for example, on log details/description? And if there are many (sometimes only one card/token/tile type) expansions?

Feel free to do it any way you choose. I tend to log the play under the main game heading unless the expansion is playable as a standalone game, but I don't fret over it. It's not like it matters much one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria S
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
tpcordeiro wrote:

Feel free to do it any way you choose. I tend to log the play under the main game heading unless the expansion is playable as a standalone game, but I don't fret over it. It's not like it matters much one way or the other.

In looking through Wish lists for the Secret Santa I came across a member that included the expansions as links in the comment section for the primary game. This wouldn't actually log the plays however it did seem to make the 'collection' more concise particularly if there are a lot of expansions and/or promo's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no single "correct" or recommended or required way.

The BGG wiki page Logging documents some common approaches (and has possibly interesting info about other common questions about logging plays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me...it depends :-)

If I play something where one or more expansions get mixed into the main game - Battlestar Galactica, Notre Dame, etc - to give you "more" of it, I just record it as a play of the main game.

Where you play one expansion that makes a major difference (such as a different map) - Age of Steam, Thurn und Taxis, etc - I record it as a play of the expansion.

Thus I would say that I played a game of Puerto Rico, but I played the Age of Steam Mars map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
For me...it depends :-)

If I play something where one or more expansions get mixed into the main game - Battlestar Galactica, Notre Dame, etc - to give you "more" of it, I just record it as a play of the main game.

Where you play one expansion that makes a major difference (such as a different map) - Age of Steam, Thurn und Taxis, etc - I record it as a play of the expansion.

Thus I would say that I played a game of Puerto Rico, but I played the Age of Steam Mars map.

This is how I do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Record both the main game and the expansion, but put the number of expansion plays as "0".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gavin923 wrote:

Record both the main game and the expansion, but put the number of expansion plays as "0".

You needn't set expansion plays to 0 - it starts there by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
gavin923 wrote:

I don't think this is true. It defaults to "1" when I record a play of an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to log the expansions separately, but it made counting the number of plays hard especially if you wanted to do it by month (you have to subtract the number of expansion plays from the total count for each month), so I stopped doing it. We play with the standard setup anyway, and I already wrote the modules/expansions used in the base game log.

Use whatever method is the most useful to you.

(I have used the 0-plays trick when playing a game against an AI.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gavin923 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
gavin923 wrote:

I don't think this is true. It defaults to "1" when I record a play of an expansion.

Let me get this straight. You're recording a play for the expansion, which changes it from 0 to 1, and then you're changing it from 1 back to 0 again? Clearly I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Let me get this straight. You're recording a play for the expansion, which changes it from 0 to 1, and then you're changing it from 1 back to 0 again? Clearly I'm missing something.

When you click to record a play, the field for "number of plays" is set to "1" automatically. You can enter "0" to the field to create a play log entry without it counting towards the number of plays of that expansion/game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Sphere wrote:

When you click to record a play, the field for "number of plays" is set to "1" automatically. You can enter "0" to the field to create a play log entry without it counting towards the number of plays of that expansion/game.

OK, thanks. Personally I don't record anything but the number of plays, so I wasn't thinking about all that other info that can be recorded.

Do a lot of people really use all those other fields? I never look at anybody's plays but my own, so I really don't know. Having recorded more than 3,000 plays since I started it blows my mind how much time it would have taken had I filled in the whole works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
OK, thanks. Personally I don't record anything but the number of plays, so I wasn't thinking about all that other info that can be recorded.

Personally, I like having a little mini session report about who I played with, sometimes what strategy my opponent and me pursued, and in what circumstances the play happened.

Registering players is too much of a hassle for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Do a lot of people really use all those other fields? I never look at anybody's plays but my own, so I really don't know. Having recorded more than 3,000 plays since I started it blows my mind how much time it would have taken had I filled in the whole works.

I have 2782 logged plays. For shorter games I only write down how many players and the setup if applicable (for example which roles were used in Avalon). For longer games I also add playtime, and in the text field add winners, scores or other end status. If something exceptional happened, then a paragraph or two about that.

Something like this:
BSG wrote:
2h 10m
5-player game with all expansions to Kobol

Cylon win at distance 8 due to Fuel (lost on a crisis)
End Resources: Fuel 0, Food 3, Morale 5, Population 2, distance 8

(Two executions - one from Final Five and other from CAG Chooses Crisis.)

It doesn't really take much additional time compared to logging in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I record a play with any box or promo or whatever was in play. The upshot is that I can always correct for various things later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
I record a play with any box or promo or whatever was in play. The upshot is that I can always correct for various things later.

Heh, I couldn't help but imagine recording a game of X-Wing like that. With all the cards and ships from both sides, I'd have to record a game with 10 different "expansions" every time, easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
*Shrug*. Needs must and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
cymric wrote:

Heh, I couldn't help but imagine recording a game of X-Wing like that. With all the cards and ships from both sides, I'd have to record a game with 10 different "expansions" every time, easily

I'm with you. I haven't played X-Wing, but my collection shows 31 BGG entries for HeroScape. I've got a few plays recorded for the Battle for the Underdark master set (because I played the scenarios provided without drafting other figures) but the rest of my plays are lumped under Return of the Valkyrie. There's no way on earth I'd spend the time to fiddle with recording which expansions were used for each play, even leaving out all the stuff about who played and who brought beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.