Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about some of the problems with the subjectivity inherant in GeekModding images, and the fact that the common suggested solution is to instead make use of the User Gallery which Aldie recently created.

Well that's okay up to a point, but it doesn't really give you the exposure for your picture that you might want, especially when your objective is to share these pictures with the larger community.

So my suggestion to solve this problem would be to create a way to associate these user gallery images with a particular game. It would definitely be an optional association since you often won't want to. But in the cases where you do, it would be really nice.

Of course, people don't necessarily want to see the user images when they're looking at a game entry, so I would suggest that the game's image browser may be set up much like the image browser on the main page. The user could choose to look through the User gallery images if they wanted, but certainly don't have to.

I think my solution would be really nice because it allows users to associate images with a game even if they were rejected, and doesn't require that anyone look through them if they don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this addresses your concern, but it is currently possible, when adding a game to a Geeklist, to use an image from some user gallery instead of any of the images in the image gallery for that game. In fact you could use any image that has a Geek number.

If you want to provide access to a particular user gallery for a game, you could add a link to it in the "Links" section for that game.

Perhaps user galleries could be subdivided, so an entire user gallery would not appear when clicking on such a link. After all, a user might want to add images pertaining to other games to his/her gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:

Perhaps user galleries could be subdivided, so an entire user gallery would not appear when clicking on such a link. After all, a user might want to add images pertaining to other games to his/her gallery.

I think sub galleries or folders in the user gallery would be great. Separate by game or by event or whatever.
Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This is already being conducted by myself and others no doubt, as where it is BEST applicable, such as within the GAME entry of which it is concerned with. Check it out here some:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164497

I intend for the most part to limit my own "Gallery" to materials that are related in whole to GAMES here, unless I get somewhat whimsical for one thing or another.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is almost a requirement.

Note also that images in game galleries are already linked to a game AND a user.

And when browsing game galleries you should be able to check a box to include all the associated images from personal galleries.

As per this thread:
IMG IMPRV: User gallery - game connection

Which works nicely together with these threads:
IMG IMPRV: Split the modding
IMG IMPRV: User gallery -> game connection

(Feel free to go comment.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls