Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deduction game WITHOUT bluffing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Baker
msg tools
I love Clue, but can recognize some of its weaknesses. I am looking for a deduction game like Clue, but without bluffing. I do not enjoy lying as a part of my gameplay, so all the social deduction games are out. Asymmetrical chase games like Scotland Yard and more modern descendants are only mildly interesting. I love Mysterium, but that is really more of a party game with an awesome theme. I've tred Hanabi, but it has been a dismal failure at my table - I don't think my group really appreciates the everyone-knows-but-me mechanic. Mystery Express looks promising, but not $200 promising. 13 Clues looks interesting, but I am a bit worried about the Hanabi mechanic. Mystery at the Abbey also seems out because it is too easy to or avoid sharing info.

Any other ideas I may have missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
How about Sleuth? It is a pure deduction game designed by Sid Sackson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
You may look at Captain Sonar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.I. is great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Vienna is an excellent deduction game.

Very hard to find a real copy, but there are print and play files around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gauner raus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey is one. Only honest answers allowed as each player tries to deduce which abbot was killed.

Nuns on the Run is another fun one where most players play novices sneaking out of their cell to achieve an objective while trying to avoid the Mother Superiors (controlled by another player) who are chasing them around. It's all hidden movement and players keep track of their movements on a sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd trade you my new copy of Mystery Express at a reasonable rate if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Town/Schinderhannes

Looks like Old Town is being reprinted as Gads Hill 1874.

Pure deduction, no bluffing. No mystery, either - just a gradual uncovering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are open to more abstract games with one gamemaster and the players competitively trying to discover the secret rule, then Zendo and Eleusis/Eleusis Express are excellent and might be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite deduction games at the moment is Think Str8!. Great deduction game, with woefully woeful component quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
How many players are we talking about?

Tragedy Looper is a game where you have a scenario that about something bad happening and the players need to figure out what happened and who was behind it. If you get it wrong, you "go back in time" and try again with a limited number of tries.

It's great as far as deduction goes, however, it's a 1-vs-all type game not sure if you like those or not.

Alchemists is a great worker placement\deduction game (keep in mind it needs an app). You basically get randomized attributes of ingredients and you need to deduce their qualities by constant logical experiments.

Keep in mind that you don't ask each other questions, so you're not really lying or bluffing, but you can make wagers if you're not sure.

Code 777 is a classic but a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

Alchemists is a great worker placement\deduction game (keep in mind it needs an app). You basically get randomized attributes of ingredients and you need to deduce their qualities by constant logical experiments.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squiz wrote:
P.I. is great fun.

+1. P.I. is what Clue could've been. For one thing, each player is trying to solve a different crime set (suspect, crime, location). That means that a player isn't eliminated for making an incorrect guess; he/she is penalized points, but allowed to pursue the correct solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases - this would be our current favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Alchemists and also:
Think Str8!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

Tragedy Looper is a game where you have a scenario that about something bad happening and the players need to figure out what happened and who was behind it. If you get it wrong, you "go back in time" and try again with a limited number of tries.

It's great as far as deduction goes...

In fact it is great as far as games go, and the number one deduction game, period. But unfortunately, complexity-wise it is not necessarily the next step after Clue...

The mastermind (the player playing alone) needs to REALLY know the rules, otherwise it won't work. Learning it is worth the effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bounder wrote:
How about Sleuth? It is a pure deduction game designed by Sid Sackson.

+1 for Sleuth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan N

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For something super quick and cheap Rumpelstiltskin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
How many players are we talking about?

That's the one that came to mind for me, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect Alibi would be my strongest recommendation. It reminds me of Clue, but without many of its flaws and it's a nice step up in complexity.

Hanabi and 13 Clues feel completely different to me, even if it's true that you're the only one who doesn't know your cards. I'd see if you can try 13 Clues somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.