Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The best selling point in any game that I buy is reading through the rules here online to look for unique game plays and the such.

Even though I’m pretty much already sold on this game with everything I’m reading plus the liking of the style of game… I’d still like to read the rules even if it is to drool over them until I can get a hand on a copy.

Is it players who post the .pdf files of rules or does the company have to do so. If it is players, can I bother anyone to do so.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be both - but whoever posts something must have the accept of whoever have the legal rights to the material.

CBG have their own website, so if they wanted to make the rules available for everyone could they easily do so, and it wouldn't take long before someone who have placed a link here.

Many publisher do that, and I downloaded about 30 sets of rules before my last visit to Essen - and those rules helped me dumping many games I might have bought if I hadn't read the rules.

Whether I would have preordered TtA if I had been able to read the rules first is impossible to say. I would certainly have been more reluctant to buy it if I had known how long it takes to play.

So maybe is it good for business to publish rules and maybe it is not.
From a consumers point of view I certainly prefer to read the rules first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the reasoning behind protecting the intellectual property but I will only buy this if I can read the rules first. It's my final, and a crucial, check to see if a game is suitable for me and the gaming group. The manufacturer's description I always hold in low regard and while the fanboys have got my interest in this game it is not quite enough to push me to purchase...when it is available of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with Stephen here. With no convenient place to try out new games, rules are my only way to get a glimpse if a game certainly fits my gaming preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, it's naive to think that not publishing the rules as a PDF means that no one will ever do it themselves.

If someone wants to steal the rules, they're going to steal the rules. Not releasing them simply annoys the honest folks, who would like a handy online reference and a way to preview the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Whether I would have preordered TtA if I had been able to read the rules first is impossible to say. I would certainly have been more reluctant to buy it if I had known how long it takes to play.

Mik,

We regularly play at 1 hour per player - usually 3 players in 3 hours including set up and put away. Of course sometimes we save a little time by playing twice! cool

Whether you can get the rules or not beforehand, I don't think you will be disappointed in the game. I do suggest getting someone who really knows the game to teach it to you. We had a number of things wrong. Luckily I got to play with about 5 different groups and between them all I think we got everything sorted out! Its there in the rules, but there is a lot to take in if you are learning from scratch without a teacher.

TtA has been one of my favorite games this year. My group can't get enough of it. We have two copies in my group and we now have just about everyone in the group playing it. Truly first rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arz man
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Few rules will make you want to buy a game so much. They are very well written, it is easy to find everything, the examples are very clear and reading about all the different cards and possibilities makes you drool.

I cannot imagine why CBG would not want these rules uploaded here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
arzman wrote:
Few rules will make you want to buy a game so much. They are very well written, it is easy to find everything, the examples are very clear and reading about all the different cards and possibilities makes you drool.

All of the cards are available. If the rules were also easily available it would be relatively simple to make homemade versions of the game. Certainly not something to be encouraged when a reprint is on the way.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
sevorges wrote:
I understand the reasoning behind protecting the intellectual property but I will only buy this if I can read the rules first. It's my final, and a crucial, check to see if a game is suitable for me and the gaming group. The manufacturer's description I always hold in low regard and while the fanboys have got my interest in this game it is not quite enough to push me to purchase...when it is available of course

I understand this point of view, but I think enough has been written (particularly in the form of reviews) to give enough of a sense of the rules to satisfy such a requirement for most people. If there are specific concerns your game group has about games it is a simple matter to post a question in the forums that addresses it.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Celebi
msg tools
If anyone has the rules in whatever format, please, send it to Celebii@seznam.cz .
---
Sorry for my English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monte Jones
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
I think the rules are complex enough to make it necessary that they be available online. If they were it might be easier to get it to the table. It is much easier to play a game of this complexity if most of the players are able to read the rules beforehand.

Most companies post there rules. Days of Wonder, Fantasy Flight to name 2. I do not understand why this isn't done by everyone.. Now I am going to have to read the rules and explain a game I haven't played. I was hoping there was a download somewhere so the other people that would be playing could read the rules as well.

So I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
arzman wrote:

All of the cards are available. If the rules were also easily available it would be relatively simple to make homemade versions of the game. Certainly not something to be encouraged when a reprint is on the way.

-MMM

There are many good games with rules online and fewer components which could be copied. Who is going to make 365 cards from scratch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Octavian wrote:
arzman wrote:

-MMM

There are many good games with rules online and fewer components which could be copied. Who is going to make 365 cards from scratch?

Hive, being among the easiest:>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls