Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triumph and Tragedy is a great game, and GMT is a great company, so it's a little hard to believe that the promised new box art for this game is thus (pardon the lousy snapshot):

Compare to the original cover:

I get that this new image removes the offending, anachronistic nation-state lines in Europe. The rest just boggles. Some distracting random elements have been removed, to be replaced by ... other random elements. The copperplate remains but is even more copperplate-y. The puzzling pocket watch (at least it puzzles me; maybe someone knows the significance of it or the time it reads) remains. The terrible fonts are still there. The screwy color palette persists.

I guess there was time pressure? I don't know. I appreciate having the bigger, sturdier box as part of the upgrade kit, and the box cover is hardly a deal breaker, but doesn't this game deserve better?

I ask myself whether it wouldn't simply have been better to have had a photo or portrait reproduction of Chamberlain with some sensible typography, and I can't really say that it wouldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares? Lots of my games, can't even find the box cover. Or the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moar Grimdark! And yet, needs even moar...

laugh

The Blue Star may be my new favorite Random Element.

I just can't stop laughing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rice
United Kingdom
Beckenham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
The puzzling pocket watch (at least it puzzles me; maybe someone knows the significance of it or the time it reads) remains.

The time on the pocket watch refers to the ultimatum made to Germany to withdraw from Poland. Chamberlain had to report that no response had been received by the 11 o'clock deadline.

Have to agree on the box art. I quite like the basic design but the random bits of component artwork chucked in spoil it somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Personally I have no issue with the box art, in fact I quite like it, including the muted colour. The watch showing a few minutes after 11 seems pertinent and Chamberlain is a natural symbol of the policy of appeasement pursued in the 1930's by Britain and France.

The updated version does seem a bit pointless in that it is so strikingly similar to the first. It does lead me to speculate about the conversation that took place between Gene, Rodger and Tony Curtis...

GB: 'A good effort, oh well, decidedly that, an excellent effort, you have shown us something...(pause)...quite new tonight

RM: (Excitedly) It is new! It is, isn't it Gene?

GB: Yes, indeed

RM: So then you liked it, you really liked it Gene?

GB: Well of course I did, it's very good!...(pause)...Of course, now and then, just now and then, it seemed a touch...

RM: What do you mean Gene?

GB: Well, occasionally it seems to have, how shall one say it, er how shall one say it Tony?

TC: Too much clip art, Gene?

GB: Exactly, very well put...too much clip art

RM: I don't understand, there is just as much clip art as is required, neither more nor less

GB: Well, my dear fellow, there is only so much clip art a wargamer's eye can see on the front of box. I think I'm right in saying that, aren't I Tony?

TC: Yes, yes...on the whole Gene.

RM: This is absurd

GB: My dear young man, don't take it too hard, your work is ingenious, it's quality work and there is simply too much clip art, that's all, just cut a few of them and it will be perfect!

RM: Which few did you have in mind Gene?

(With apologies to Peter Schaffer)

The end result of the conversation is Rodger keeps it pretty much the same and so we end up with what we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably would never have worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have a pic of the new mounted map or components? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedPlanet
Australia
Gold Coast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As a long time Besinque shill, I would gladly provide my services for nought!

I have in the past been a photoshop designer and screen printer.

The years of sanity this man has given me is more than I can repay in a simple box cover!

Dear Craig, they are playing your game, and the box lid is upside down for a dice container!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
striped_zebra wrote:
Do you have a pic of the new mounted map or components? Thanks

No, but I could probably try tonight. My map is torn slightly at one of the folds, but otherwise it seems like what you'd expect from a GMT mounted map. I did note that the Azores is correctly displayed as a strait, but I'm not familiar enough with what other changes were made to verify them.

The new counters are the thicker, rounded ones used in games like Twilight Struggle deluxe edition (are there that many non-deluxe ones out there anymore?). Very nice. Apparently we also got an extra sheet of the standard counters for some reason, which Craig noted in another thread was not part of the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackMass wrote:

As a long time Besinque shill, I would gladly provide my services for nought!

I have in the past been a photoshop designer and screen printer.

The years of sanity this man has given me is more than I can repay in a simple box cover!

Dear Craig, they are playing your game, and the box lid is upside down for a dice container!!!!

Thanks Blackmass,

It is feedback like yours that keeps me motivated to continue this satisfying but somewhat Quixotic pursuit.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, going by Sean T’s out of the wrapper pics in a another thread just posted here, the new box art doesn’t look too bad at all. Definitely better than Ed 1. Kudos Rodger MacG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedPlanet
Australia
Gold Coast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbesinque wrote:

satisfying but somewhat Quixotic pursuit.

Craig

HA! Well described.
Anyway, my offer stands. I mean it.
Not that I have dabbled in any kind of cover art........

BUT I have been looking into block design.

Mark Simonitch has basically set the standard. perhaps unpassable till hologram chits.

to my thinking, the humble block - with much more space has been left far far behind ......

Alas, is there a game for an information rich and visually detailed block?

'crappy sample'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cover is okay, would have probably been better without any clip art, and just Neville. Having said that, it's a mystery to me why the boxcover to this game has inspired so much strong emotion. <shrug>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
I think the cover is okay, would have probably been better without any clip art, and just Neville. Having said that, it's a mystery to me why the boxcover to this game has inspired so much strong emotion. <shrug>

Probably because it offends the eye in ways that could have been easily remedied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.