Hide
6 Posts

Shadowrift» Forums » General

Subject: Isn't Frozen Ground Heinously Overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Smeagol
msg tools
In a two-player game against the Harrowood, we had frozen ground as an option. Given that they seemed interesting, I built my deck around them. But shortly after the third usage, it became painfully apparent that these things were just too strong.

By the time the monster (a green behemoth) took its first action, it had six damage on it--six damage that was done without wounds and was entirely regardless of whether a monster was in play at the time or not. Add in a partner with a wild charge deck, and you've got a veritable farm, as every turn you can add four extra damage (sometimes eight if the Mayor is out), in addition to the damage done by any strikes and wild charges. When a monster came out, there were always at least two damage waiting for it on start, and depending on how quickly the previous monster had perished, there could be up to five on action one! And nothing at all could save any poor soul who even considered venturing into the nightmarish abyss known as action 2.

I would suggest making it such that each space can only have one (or possibly two) damage on it at any one time, and perhaps with the start space not getting any at all.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card has already been errata'd so that no space can have no more than one damage on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Smeagol
msg tools
Ah! Many thanks, my friend! I must have missed that when I looked through it earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Smeagol
msg tools
Wait, no, apparently it was un-errata'd, with this statement:

Frozen Ground: Place one damage counter on each space of the Monster Attack Area. The next monster to move onto each space gains that damage after it acts. Damage counters placed onto spaces with monsters already present remain on the space until a new monster moves onto the space.
If a monster moves onto a space with more damage than it has health, all the damage is used up anyway.
I'm aware that this is a change from the ruling I made in the FAQ/Errata. I've determined that the "after it acts" change leaves it very strong but acceptable, while declaring that only 1 counter can be waiting on a space a) weakens the card to the point where players aren't likely to buy it at all and b) is not remotely implied by the card itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
DarthSmeagol wrote:
Wait, no, apparently it was un-errata'd, with this statement:

Frozen Ground: Place one damage counter on each space of the Monster Attack Area. The next monster to move onto each space gains that damage after it acts. Damage counters placed onto spaces with monsters already present remain on the space until a new monster moves onto the space.
If a monster moves onto a space with more damage than it has health, all the damage is used up anyway.
I'm aware that this is a change from the ruling I made in the FAQ/Errata. I've determined that the "after it acts" change leaves it very strong but acceptable, while declaring that only 1 counter can be waiting on a space a) weakens the card to the point where players aren't likely to buy it at all and b) is not remotely implied by the card itself.

Yeah, I hope Jeremy reconsiders this and decides to go with nonstacking Frozen Ground damage. I found that this was powerful enough. And if it needs to be boosted a bit more, then make its damage (now at most 1) apply before the monster acts. It is true that it isn't implied by the card, but I think it's better to do what works best in the game, even if it means issuing a correction. I like Frozen Ground both thematically and mechanically, but with stackable damage, whether applied before or after the monster acts, it seems way too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree -- and I will be playing with a house rule of non-stackable Frozen Ground damage -- plus, use of the Frozen Ground card as a prowess if you either have no place to put damage or only put out a single damage with it ... that way the card is useful even if another Frozen Ground has just been played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.