Popular Tags: [View All]
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Trade and Intrigue, and it seems to have the need for more citizen tiles, but there are no extras supplied in the expansion. The 10 supplied 'cover tiles' do not seem to be sufficient either.

The new Beneficial Deeds board requires 8 citizens, like the old one, but there is also a new "Intrigue" board, that requires 5 citizens, but the extras are not supplied as part of the expansion.

The Beneficial Deeds board requires 10 cover tiles, and the Intrigue board requires 9, but there are only 10 in total supplied.

It's almost as if you're only supposed to use either the Beneficial Deeds board or the Intrigue board in a game, not both. The rules however, says that the modules of the expansion can be used in any combination.

Any clarification on this? Perhaps something was missed in the English translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is a little sloppy.

In the rules sections for both boards, it says:

Quote:
Do not use the “Beneficial Deeds” board from the base game. Instead,
use the new one provided with this expansion.

I think this pretty much rules out using these boards together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you only ever use one of the boards. Either the old Beneficial Deeds boards, the new one OR the Intrigue board. I'm pretty sure the rules say so somewhere. In this case, the notion to "combine all modules" (also given in the rulebook) is wrong, unfortunately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
The rulebook is a little sloppy.

In the rules sections for both boards, it says:

Quote:
Do not use the “Beneficial Deeds” board from the base game. Instead,
use the new one provided with this expansion.

I think this pretty much rules out using these boards together.

It rules out using the original Beneficial Deeds board with either the new Beneficial Deeds board or with the Intrigue board, but doesn't rule out using the two new ones together. In fact the front cover of the rules lists the Trade & Intrigue 'modules' and explicitly says they can be used together:

Quote:
- Orders...
- New Events...
- New Beneficial Deeds...
- Intrigue...

You can add each module to the base game individually or use them in any combination...

I've left out descriptive text, but this certainly seems to indicate they can be used together. I've read the entire rules a couple of times and nowhere does it say you can't.

However, due to the similar nature of the boards and the 'chair' symbology on both, I'm going to assume that the designer's intention is to choose one board or the other. It would only have taken one sentence in the rule book to remove any confusion.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sections, the one about the New Beneficial Deeds and the one about Intrigue, state:
"Do not use the "Beneficial Deeds" board from the base game. Instead, use the new one / new "Intrigue" board provided with / from this expansion."

It is a bit nitpicky, but if you use one board instead of the original Beneficial Deeds board, you cannot also use the other INSTEAD of the original Beneficial Deeds board. Replacing the original Beneficial Deeds board with the new one will leave you no board to exchange for the Intrigue board.

I know that the introduction makes it seem that you can mix and match any and all components, but these boards are definitely not meant to be used both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.