Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TF's Unofficial Villain AI v1.0

This is an unofficial villain AI system I've developed specifically for use with my own custom solo/co-op scenarios. You're welcome to use it with your own custom scenarios if you like. The system follows all the standard rules of the game with the following exceptions:

1. Instead of one combined villain deck, divide cards into a separate deck for each villain type; include all card colors for each villain type unless otherwise stated by the scenario.

2. Villains do not have focus or a hand of cards so ignore abilities that apply to those.

3. Villains cannot perform terrain actions but still gain any passive benefits and restrictions the terrain provides.

4. Villains do not suffer damage when moving out of elevated terrain but may move up and down elevated terrain as though it were rough terrain (i.e. movement that changes elevation ends immediately).

5. When it is the villains' turn, play one card per villain type that is currently on the board by flipping over one card from each villain deck; each of these cards remain active until the start of the next villain turn.

6. Villains always combine all Katana or Shuriken available when performing an attack unless an ability on a card says otherwise.

7. If an ability on a card allows a villain to reroll attack, only reroll shell results; likewise, if an ability on a card allows a villain to reroll defense, only reroll hit and double-hit results.

8. Villains cannot use desperation activation; there is no need for it.

9. The "Regroup" card is never used; if a villain deck runs out, shuffle that deck and continue as normal.

AI Priorities
Use the following guidelines when determining when and where a villain should move or attack.

1. Move villains toward or away from the nearest hero until they are at the optimal range for their attack (i.e. 1 for melee, 2 for ranged); if two or more heroes are equally near, choose the one with the lowest health; if they have the same health, choose the one with the lowest defense.

2. Use the shortest path possible when moving a villain toward a hero.

3. If an activated villain is already at the optimal range for its attack (i.e. 1 for melee, 2 for ranged) then do not move it.

4. If an activated villain receives at least 1 Skateboard, 1 Katana, and 1 Shuriken, but there is only one hero to attack, spend its movement in such a way that it can perform both attacks if possible.

5. If there are more villains of the same type on the board than were activated by the card that was flipped over, activate the villains that are furthest away that can still attack the hero at optimal range.
Quote:
Example 1: If a card activates 1 Foot Clan Ninja with 1 Skateboard and 2 Katana, but there are 3 Foot Clan Ninja on the board at ranges 1, 3, and 5, activate the one that is at range 3 since it can move into range of the hero before attacking.
Example 2: If a card activates 1 Foot Clan Elite with 1 Skateboard, 1 Katana, and 1 Shuriken, but there are 2 Foot Clan Elite on the board at ranges 1 and 3, activate the one that is at range 1 since it can perform a melee attack, move away, and then perform a ranged attack at range 2.

6. If an activated villain receives at least 1 Skateboard but no Katana or Shuriken, then move it in such a way that it blocks or hinders the hero as much as possible (e.g. to clog a path that the hero needs to take) even if it is already adjacent to the hero.

Version History
v1.0: Initial release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Martel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stupid question probably. But when it's the villain turn, do you keep the already active cards and you add more like a normal game (and when you have 4 you refresh the last) or do you always pick new cards? I really like your idea for the solo variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
Yes you have and you msut cause some cards give you more defense bonus for the minions.

I like this variant and can't wait for my retail copy, miss the KS......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Martel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mussino wrote:
Yes you have and you msut cause some cards give you more defense bonus for the minions.

I like this variant and can't wait for my retail copy, miss the KS......

Thx! I tried it several times now and it's really fun. Also note that we added a little something, when we are not sure what to do, we also the worse thing that could happen to the turtles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Goodchild
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting ideas, thanks for posting. I've been contemplating an AI to make the game co-op rather than one vs. many.

With your separate decks rule, this means if there are less than four villain types then they are effectively activating less than if there was a conventional villain hand and deck.

I haven't worked through all the variables yet, but one version I've tried is to just have the villain deck as a 'conveyor belt', making seemingly logical villain decisions. (e.g. in scenario 1 actually having the thugs run away in an attempt to achieve the mission)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor Goodchild wrote:

With your separate decks rule, this means if there are less than four villain types then they are effectively activating less than if there was a conventional villain hand and deck.

This is also made me think it might be worth including a rule that villain cards should be drawn from the decks relating to figures closest to the hero that just went, or something like that. Also prioritise leaders over minions in ties?

e.g. Leo is adjacent to a Brawler, with a Gunner and Hob both two spaces away. You would draw a Brawler card and one of Hob's.

There is also the issue of those healing cards for leaders. As an initial thought I would say that when they are drawn, they are only played if the Leader is at or below half HP. If it is not played immediately, it is set to one side and a replacement is drawn that turn. At any future point, if the Leader drops to or below half HP then that card is played at the next opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.