Subject: Drifters Secret rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Just had an interesting idea that makes playing the drifter a bit more different.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Everyone knows the drifter's secret...he's immortal.

It would make the drifter more of a unique experience if you really had a secret that you were hiding.
This idea works a bit like the orphan's missions.

The drifter draws from a deck of secret's and no other players can see it.
Each different secret has a certain ammount of success rolls (see below) before the other players uncover it and it's effect becomes active.

While his secret is secret he gets the usual penalties (-1 initiative to other heroes when adjacent, danger magnet).

But at the end of each mission each party member rolls 3 dice, if triples are rolled it counts as 1 success, as the heroes begin to learn what the Drifter truly is.

Perhaps to counteract heroes guessing the secret ("we got three successes so far so it must be this one which needs 4") a Drifter secret card could have variable successes needed eg. d6 + 1, so that heroes are never sure the exact number needed.

possible ideas:
-Drifter is actually a void demon who has possessed a human form
-Drifter is a Flesh Stalker construct
-Drifter doesn't actually exist but a group hallucination or one party members delusion or multi personality manifested by the void
-Drifter is a mimic beast
-Drifter is unaware of what it truly is, once discovered draw random secret card

The effects would need to be balanced but strange
lots of ideas. I would crank this out if I had the software to edit the custom tempaltes, so I'll leave it as open source if any Drifter players out there want to spice up their experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnt Lightning wrote:
Everyone knows the drifter's secret...

Not everyone knows. Maybe add a spoiler to the rest of your first paragraph, just as a courtesy. Many players don't even know the Drifter has a secret at all.

I like the ideas though. It could be fun to have a kind of traitor mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drifter is actually a WESTWORLD robot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having different versions of the Drifter sounds like a neat idea, though I might approach the mechanics a different way. If you're giving vastly different flavor stuff, I'd at least give some mechanical differences.

Could be a neat optional addition - though the Drifter is already one of the more interesting classes anyways. It's my favorite, so I don't mind beefing it up even more, but it probably doesn't need it.

Personally, I'm considering the Drifter sort of the "Cynder Hero", like the Jargono Natives are the "Jargono Hero", or the Trederran... whatever is going to be the "Trederra Hero". A lost soul - escaped or still bound. A "jailer". Or even a manifestation of Be'lial himself.

Some ideas to add to your list, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's tropes from all the Western novels and movies:

The Drifter conceals his outlaw identity to hide from a crime he committed (perhaps a town event or location event like the Sheriff's office could reveal it or count as a "success".)

The Drifter is a retired lawman trying to hide from his past, but some outlaws they encountered won't let the Drifter escape their past.

The Drifter wants revenge on a certain type of enemy (Colonel Stafford?)

The Drifter is trying to escape from some misdeed (maybe the Mexican Army Ghosts?)

One possibility with the Dark Secret cards is to turn them into a series of Drifter Missions, with the Adventure scenarios varying based on which secret the Drifter draws. If you wanted to go all-out you might have A & B missions with the A mission reflecting a partial reveal of the Drifter's secret and the B mission being the resolution. For example, the A mission might be the posse exploring the mines to retrieve some stashed Gold and/or Dark Stone and the B mission - which happens much later - requires the posse to fight off Mexican Army Ghosts, with the reveal being the drifter stole some money meant to buy arms for the army. Without the money, the army was slaughtered and their vengeful ghosts were seeking revenge on the thief. Perhaps in-between the two missions you could force - or increase the likelihood - of specific travel events related to the secret to provide thematic clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all neat ideas.

I really like the idea of class- and character-specific plot arcs, and would really like to see those developed more than I would want "campaigns" per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.