GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,631 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Hit Z Road» Forums » Rules

Subject: Number of dice lower than number of zombies. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hongky Anggoro
Indonesia
Surakarta
Central Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after played 2 games, I stumble upon some problem about the rule.

1. Say I already do ranged attack and there are still some zombies left. Then on melee attack, my survivor amount is lower than the amount of zombies left, let's say I roll 2 dice and there're 3 or 4 zombies. If my roll bad and there're still 2 zombies left, what happened then? Do I lose 1 survivor for each zombie left?

2. In the rulebook said that blank side dice means you dodge, nothing happen. Does that mean I have to roll again all blank dice UNTIL something happened (dice showing other than its blank side)? Let's say I fight 3 zombies with 3 dice, each dice show: blank, blank and target symbol. So, only 1 zombie die. How I resolve the 2 blank dice? Do I reroll them, or I just assume I escape from the zombie attack and safe (which means I discard the 2 zombies token to box and continue my journey)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You only lose survivors on when there are skulls rolled that you don't cancel with adrenaline.

2. The dice rolling for melee continues until either the survivors or zombies are eliminated. Each round you roll one die per survivor that you have left and you don't reroll those results before the next round. The number of zombies is irrelevant to the outcome of each roll.

Each die represents the fate of one survivor for an entire round of melee: dying, killing or just surviving until the next round of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hongky Anggoro
Indonesia
Surakarta
Central Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
1. You only lose survivors on when there are skulls rolled that you don't cancel with adrenaline.

2. The dice rolling for melee continues until either the survivors or zombies are eliminated. Each round you roll one die per survivor that you have left and you don't reroll those results before the next round. The number of zombies is irrelevant to the outcome of each roll.

Each die represents the fate of one survivor for an entire round of melee: dying, killing or just surviving until the next round of combat.

1. So, if I have resolved all my roll, and still have some zombies left, then I ignore those zombies? That feels weird since I also don't spend gas token to flee.

2. If that's the case, then if I fight against fewer zombies than my survivor, then I choose to use dice as many as the zombies, cause if I use dice as many as my survivor, that means wasting my resource if I got skull with lightning symbol. That's just absurd rule I think if you have to use dice as many as your survivor and each die represent the fate for each survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nezuko wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

1. So, if I have resolved all my roll, and still have some zombies left, then I ignore those zombies? That feels weird since I also don't spend gas token to flee.

2. If that's the case, then if I fight against fewer zombies than my survivor, then I choose to use dice as many as the zombies, cause if I use dice as many as my survivor, that means wasting my resource if I got skull with lightning symbol. That's just absurd rule I think if you have to use dice as many as your survivor and each die represent the fate for each survivor.

1) Huh? Why "ignore them"? Of course they continue to attack (unless you flee).

2) there is no choice. You use as many dice as you have survivors. The rules don't mention a choice, nobody here mentioned a choice - how come you think there is a choice? Each survivor gives you a bigger chance to kill zombies than to lose a survivor (much more so if you have adrenaline left). And have you ever watched a zombie move in which the protagonists did NOT die absurd deaths?

Its really a simple game. Just do what the rules say and have fun with it. It is dice rolling... not deep strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you misunderstood the combat rules completely.

You have to do melee rolls until one of three things happen:

1) You kill all zombies, get the card as a bonus and keep playing.
2) You spend 2 fuel tokens, discard the card and keep playing.
3) You are killed by the zombies and are out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:

The only time you can spend fuel to escape is immediately after the ranged attack phase. Once melee starts you can't flee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Lochi wrote:

The only time you can spend fuel to escape is immediately after the ranged attack phase. Once melee starts you can't flee!

Anytime before a melee roll, at least according to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Lochi wrote:

That is definitely not what the rules say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:
Lochi wrote:

Well, rules say "before any melee round", but never gets to specify what a melee round is. I certainly prefer to have the opportunity to decide whether to run away or not instead of depending completely on the die results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:
Benji68 wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:
Lochi wrote:

Well, rules say "before any melee round", but never gets to specify what a melee round is. I certainly prefer to have the opportunity to decide whether to run away or not instead of depending completely on the die results.

"Before any melee round" is definitely NOT "before the first melee round".

(I am supporting you )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, that's right, you quoted mlvanbie, not me... Problems with my reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hongky Anggoro
Indonesia
Surakarta
Central Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
nezuko wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

1) Huh? Why "ignore them"? Of course they continue to attack (unless you flee).

2) there is no choice. You use as many dice as you have survivors. The rules don't mention a choice, nobody here mentioned a choice - how come you think there is a choice? Each survivor gives you a bigger chance to kill zombies than to lose a survivor (much more so if you have adrenaline left). And have you ever watched a zombie move in which the protagonists did NOT die absurd deaths?

Its really a simple game. Just do what the rules say and have fun with it. It is dice rolling... not deep strategy!

1. So, if I already used all my dice and there're still zombies left, what should I do? Roll dice again as 2nd melee attack? Coz the rulebook didn't mention you can do reroll for melee attack. Assuming I don't have gas token to flee, do I lose survivor as many as zombies left?

2. In another thread I think there's a mention that you have to resolve all your dice roll (even if they show so many skull with adrenaline symbol).
Let's say I fight 3 zombies, have 5 survivors. Roll 5 dice with result: 3 kill symbol, and 2 skull symbol (with adrenaline marker). This means all 3 zombies dead, right? Do I still have to pay 2 adrenaline for the skull dice results? If so, then it's a silly rule if you have to roll as many dice as your survivors, coz you don't know when the dice will show skull symbol. On my game so far, I just ignore the 2 dice with skull symbol, coz 3 dice with kill symbol already killed the 3 zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nezuko wrote:

1. So, if I already used all my dice and there're still zombies left, what should I do? Roll dice again as 2nd melee attack? Coz the rulebook didn't mention you can do reroll for melee attack. Assuming I don't have gas token to flee, do I lose survivor as many as zombies left?

This has now been explained more than once to you, but again: You continue to roll as many dice as you have survivors left as long as there are zombies around.

Let's go slow:

5 Zombies attack 3 survivors. You decide not to use any ammo and not to flee, so begin with melee.

1st round of melee: you roll 3 dice (remember: one for each survivor...). Results are: 2 Zombies killed and one survivor (lets not go into adrenaline for now)

Still standing: 3 Zombies and 2 survivors. You may now spend 2 gas to flee, but decide to stay.

2nd round of melee: you roll 2 dice (because you have 2 survivors left), 1 Zombie is killed.

Still standing: 2 Zombies and 2 survivors. You decide not to flee.

3rd round of melee: you still roll 2 dice (because there are still 2 survivors alive): 2 Zombies are killed.

Fight is over.

nezuko wrote:

2. In another thread I think there's a mention that you have to resolve all your dice roll (even if they show so many skull with adrenaline symbol).
Let's say I fight 3 zombies, have 5 survivors. Roll 5 dice with result: 3 kill symbol, and 2 skull symbol (with adrenaline marker). This means all 3 zombies dead, right? Do I still have to pay 2 adrenaline for the skull dice results? If so, then it's a silly rule if you have to roll as many dice as your survivors, coz you don't know when the dice will show skull symbol.

Sigh - that's the point of the game. You are not supposed to know what will happen.

nezuko wrote:

On my game so far, I just ignore the 2 dice with skull symbol, coz 3 dice with kill symbol already killed the 3 zombies.

Then you are making the game awfully easy, not to mention that you are not playing according to the rules. How do you know the zombies were killed BEFORE your survivors?

Yes, if there is 1 Zombie and you have 5 survivors, you roll 5 dice and have to respect all losses (zombies and survivors). Your version makes the game a cakewalk. The correct rules force you to use adrenaline to kill more Zombies fast, avoiding exactly that kind of rolls (5 dice for 1 Zombie). Take that away, and there are not many decisions that matter left in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hongky Anggoro
Indonesia
Surakarta
Central Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
nezuko wrote:

This has now been explained more than once to you, but again: You continue to roll as many dice as you have survivors left as long as there are zombies around.

Let's go slow:

5 Zombies attack 3 survivors. You decide not to use any ammo and not to flee, so begin with melee.

1st round of melee: you roll 3 dice (remember: one for each survivor...). Results are: 2 Zombies killed and one survivor (lets not go into adrenaline for now)

Still standing: 3 Zombies and 2 survivors. You may now spend 2 gas to flee, but decide to stay.

2nd round of melee: you roll 2 dice (because you have 2 survivors left), 1 Zombie is killed.

Still standing: 2 Zombies and 2 survivors. You decide not to flee.

3rd round of melee: you still roll 2 dice (because there are still 2 survivors alive): 2 Zombies are killed.

Fight is over.

nezuko wrote:

Let's say I fight 3 zombies, have 5 survivors. Roll 5 dice with result: 3 kill symbol, and 2 skull symbol (with adrenaline marker). This means all 3 zombies dead, right? Do I still have to pay 2 adrenaline for the skull dice results? If so, then it's a silly rule if you have to roll as many dice as your survivors, coz you don't know when the dice will show skull symbol.

Sigh - that's the point of the game. You are not supposed to know what will happen.

nezuko wrote:

On my game so far, I just ignore the 2 dice with skull symbol, coz 3 dice with kill symbol already killed the 3 zombies.

Then you are making the game awfully easy, not to mention that you are not playing according to the rules. How do you know the zombies were killed BEFORE your survivors?

Yes, if there is 1 Zombie and you have 5 survivors, you roll 5 dice and have to respect all losses (zombies and survivors). Your version makes the game a cakewalk. The correct rules force you to use adrenaline to kill more Zombies fast, avoiding exactly that kind of rolls (5 dice for 1 Zombie). Take that away, and there are not many decisions that matter left in the game.

Well, I have played 3 or 4 games with that rule about ignoring dice with skull symbol if all zombies have died, and still, the game is a bit harder. On 3rd level card, almost all my friend only have 2/3 survivors left. This game is hard enough without resolving all melee dice. So, next time I'll try playing with the correct rule, whether the game will be more difficult or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.