Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Inis» Forums » General

Subject: No way to remove citadels or sanctuaries...expansion possibilities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Bross
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that cards that allowed for the removal/movement of sanctuaries or citadels would lead to games taking too long but after our first play we were discussing how curious it was that nothing had allowed for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
rbf1138 wrote:
My guess is that cards that allowed for the removal/movement of sanctuaries or citadels would lead to games taking too long but after our first play we were discussing how curious it was that nothing had allowed for this.

It would definitely have to be an Epic Tale card. A advantage card or a action card with this ability would just really slow down the game. Also I think the game is more about manipulating the clans rather than the environs to win the game.

Maybe an Epic Tale card that could move a sanctuary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would have been cool if an epic card read:

Reaction, if an opponent is about to retreat to a citadel, instead remove that citadel from the board.

That wouldn't necessarily slow down the game (just the opposite) and would make for a dramatic play. #expansionideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
That's pretty good. It limits when it can be done but still makes it strong and surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...Historically speaking, one would imagine that "destroying" a citadel would be a fairly difficult thing to do (stone buildings/fortress and all that), but burning down a sanctuary just when it is needed for a victory is more "physically" possible. (One would think burning down sanctuaries back in the day was fairly commonwhistle)
Just my two cents as to how this could go...I'd vote that citadels are permanent, but sanctuaries could be messed with. (Of course, this rule wishing is all alternate reality anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, those people you play in Inis would never ever destroy a sanctuary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Kris wrote:
Wow, those people you play in Inis would never ever destroy a sanctuary!

You make a good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I don't remember how many times Emain Macha was burned to the ground in the various prequels to the Táin, but it was at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JermEx Machina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, this isn't a game of warring clans. It's about leadership. These citadels and sanctuaries belong to everyone.

You are trying to get elected as high king, burned down villages can't give you thier support. These sanctuaries are not allied with any particular group of clans, so what motivation would there be to burn them? "This pretender's clan hangs around too many villages, better burn some down!" When really you just need a couple of your own clans around those villages and now you are at parity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inis has a couple of neat instruments that make sure the game pushes towards an endgame situation. The fact that more and more buildings pop up are an integral part of that system (as are deed tokens).

If you would counter that ability, you'd just get an endless tug-of-war. If anything, Inis should get rid of the few cards that go in against this strong design principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
I think it would have been cool if an epic card read:

Reaction, if an opponent is about to retreat to a citadel, instead remove that citadel from the board.

That wouldn't necessarily slow down the game (just the opposite) and would make for a dramatic play. #expansionideas

There is an epic card that forces all clans out of citadels during a clash, which is similar and similarly dramatic. It's called Battle Frenzy is memory serves, but i don't have the game right here to double check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has a strong feel of forward momentum that's stretched throughout the decision space. The only fragile and weak element of the game are the clansmen attempting to forge their legacy. I kind of like this direct implementation and the possible underlying message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.