Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Full Steam Ahead" is by the same people that made "Victorian Farm", "Edwardian Farm", "Monastery Farm", "Secrets of the Castle", etc. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07lpglf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris
Netherlands
Groningen
Nederland
flag msg tools
18xx addict
badge
18xx addict
mbmbmbmbmb
But apparently only available from within the UK.
Why oh why does the BBC keep insisting that people jump through hoops (VPN, pirating) to view their excellent programmes?
Thanks for the tip, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
something something youtube.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
something something youtube.

B>

Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris
Netherlands
Groningen
Nederland
flag msg tools
18xx addict
badge
18xx addict
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah blush
Sometimes I forget to look for the easiest solution.

Still, I curse the BBC for their silly restrictions.
I sort of understand their policy of only making their programmes available for free to actual residents. But refusing to sell to anyone else who is interested?!
And now I'll stop flogging this deceased equine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe their charter prevents them spending the resourcing hosting streaming for non-UK folks.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bggboris wrote:
Oh yeah blush

I sort of understand their policy of only making their programmes available for free to actual residents. But refusing to sell to anyone else who is interested?!

You can buy it on DVD, if you wish.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVD-Blu-ray/Full-Steam-Ahead-Vict...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris
Netherlands
Groningen
Nederland
flag msg tools
18xx addict
badge
18xx addict
mbmbmbmbmb
daveberry wrote:

Sure, but what about instant gratification? Streaming or downloading is where it's at. I've watched the first episode on youtube earlier today.
Also, my closets are filled with board games (and books), there's just no room for DVD sets shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bggboris wrote:
daveberry wrote:

Sure, but what about instant gratification? Streaming or downloading is where it's at. I've watched the first episode on youtube earlier today.
Also, my closets are filled with board games (and books), there's just no room for DVD sets :shake:

Streaming services and so forth are expensive to run, particularly for global delivery.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Not directly relevant, but Boris' request for a streaming service needn't necessarily imply a refusal to pay for said service (though I am sure that's preferable).

Personally I would prefer to pay a couple of bucks to download something than buy a DVD. Not only is the wait time on shipping a dvd an obsolete practice, the act of actually loading physical media to watch is more or less a thing of the past for me. I ripped my dvd/bd collection to a NAS years ago and all but the particularly attractive cases (which are displayed on a small shelf) are packed away in storage.

Having several UK-based friends, I have been stymied by the BBC's regional block enough times that I'd consider paying for a subscription if it was offered for a reasonable rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may not have been being clear. The infrastructure to do paid streaming overseas would have a significant cost and potentially also negatively impact the BBC overseas licensing revenues (for which they need effectively no infrastructure at all).

While it's unfortunate, I can understand their non-pursual of this. Perhaps they might make more of their library available via other services, although there probably isn't much money in obscure documentary shows.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris
Netherlands
Groningen
Nederland
flag msg tools
18xx addict
badge
18xx addict
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Personally I would prefer to pay a couple of bucks to download something than buy a DVD. Not only is the wait time on shipping a dvd an obsolete practice, the act of actually loading physical media to watch is more or less a thing of the past for me.

Exactly this.

thepackrat wrote:
Streaming services and so forth are expensive to run, particularly for global delivery.

thepackrat wrote:
The infrastructure to do paid streaming overseas would have a significant cost and potentially also negatively impact the BBC overseas licensing revenues (for which they need effectively no infrastructure at all).
[..]Perhaps they might make more of their library available via other services, although there probably isn't much money in obscure documentary shows.

I would be fine with downloading. In most cases I prefer that over streaming.
The thing that irked me on the official page was the line "From one supplier: BBC Store". To me, this implies that other options than the geofenced BBC store are available in other cases.

Over the years I have started to agree with the "cheap/easy/legal availability as an alternative to piracy" argument.

Youtube is fine for me now cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I may not have been being clear. The infrastructure to do paid streaming overseas would have a significant cost and potentially also negatively impact the BBC overseas licensing revenues (for which they need effectively no infrastructure at all).

As another example, Netflix makes some shows available in some countries and not others, despite the fact that they obviously have the streaming service capacity in place. Which leads to people setting up VPNs to proxy servers in other countries so that they can watch these restricted shows.

As Bruce noted, the BBC have extra constraints arising from their charter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bggboris wrote:
daveberry wrote:

Also, my closets are filled with board games (and books), there's just no room for DVD sets shake

https://store.bbc.com/full-steam-ahead

You can buy it as a digital download if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
bggboris wrote:
daveberry wrote:

Nope.

"BBC Store.com is not available in the US and Canada. Find out why."

Why?

"Because of rights agreements you can only purchase, download or stream BBCStore TV programmes while you're inside the UK."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BBC licenses many programs overseas and it is likely that those licensing agreements preclude their competing directly with their own store in those markets.

They've made a few attempts at broadening services in some countries (e.g. Australia) where the licensing is likely done less aggressively.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
andyl wrote:
bggboris wrote:
daveberry wrote:

Nope.

However bggboris isn't in the US or Canada according to his profile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris
Netherlands
Groningen
Nederland
flag msg tools
18xx addict
badge
18xx addict
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

Indeed.
The message I get is very similar though:

You appear to be outside the UK
BBC Store is available to UK and Channel Island residents only.

Oh, the poor horse..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
jrebelo wrote:
andyl wrote:
bggboris wrote:
daveberry wrote:

Nope.

The second part of my post you didn't quote:

"Because of rights agreements you can only purchase, download or stream BBCStore TV programmes while you're inside the UK."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Winterrowd
United States
Bluffton
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Acorn TV makes some British (and Aussie and NZ) shows available for streaming. Are BBC shows unavailable for Acorn, or is it simply a cost/interest issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Knight
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bggboris wrote:
Oh yeah blush

They are not free to actual residents. We have to pay a licence fee to watch programmes in the UK. This money goes to the BBC. It's a bone of contention with some parties here. Especially the government who don't like Auntie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.