19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Protocol for dealing with injury during play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dear_abby [+] [View All]
Steven Morehouse
Canada
flag msg tools
Let me preface by saying... I'm mostly kidding here. I'm posting out of curiosity. Of course I understand that people come before the game. But ignoring the humanity of it, I want your opinion. Here's the scenario:

Four good friends playing 3rd round of Risk Legacy. The game is nearly over and it is the middle of Player 1's turn. Player 1 is mostly dominating. Player 2 is playing the pest and prolonging the game, but no cards and no major armies left (lots of terratories). Player 3 is eliminated. Player four is certainly being eliminated this turn, with the dice about to roll when...

Kids start screaming. All hell breaks loose. The 7 year old cracked her head on something and is bleeding. Off to the hospital.

Does Player 1 get declared the winner?
Should Player 3 be assumed eliminated (it really was inevitable)?
Just scrap the game like it never happened?

The only reason I hesitate to scrap it (beyond that not being fair to Player 1) is the Legacy nature of this game. Cards were already written on the back of. But really that's it.

Opinions?

Again, I'm only half serious. I don't really care so much and of course the emergency is more important.

(yes, I'm Player 1 Lol)

Update: 1 stitch. No biggie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rub some dirt on it. And then rub Player 3's face in it for the rest of the legacy campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet U
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The kid seems to be a natural in legacy games. Let her join your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bcsteeve wrote:
Of course I understand that people come before the game.

Get out of here, you filthy casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whose kid got hurt?

if it's yours, i smell obvious collusion, and you shouldn't teach poor manners to your kids that even faking an injury can get you out of losing a game. it's the fair thing to do. sure you were 'dominating', but can we be sure of that? how do we know you didn't see the writing on the wall and initiated a code red?

also, 1 stich? mmhmm. a likely story...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
just in case it's not obvious, i'm kidding
glad the kid's ok. remind them to get injured after there's a clear winner next time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how much kids' heads can bleed.

Pete (had to put 3 stitches into his daughter's)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably give the win to player one. Probably wouldn't end well if set the precedent that if a child gets hurt the game doesn't count.

I know it'll hurt Johnny, but Daddy is about to lose Australia and needs you take more risks on the slide. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
Rub some dirt on it. And then rub Player 3's face in it for the rest of the legacy campaign.
it's the only way they'll learn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Keane
Australia
Hawthorn
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it wasn't a legacy game where permanent effects had already been enacted I'd just call it a void game, but if it's important who won going forward you need to reach some sort of agreement.

You couldn't have left the game in the state it was in and finished another time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slymonk wrote:
You couldn't have left the game in the state it was in and finished another time?

That was my immediate thought.

---

Otherwise I would first check whether everyone agrees who would have won; if the description in the OP is at all accurate, then it sounds like everyone should agree that player 1 wins. If so, problem solved, it would seem. (Unless there are some "legacy" things which require the game to be finished; I don't know.)

(But of course since you are player 1, perhaps your description of the game state is biased...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like the kid won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Sounds to me like the kid won.

I agree. You give the kid the victory. And a bowl of their favorite ice cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bcsteeve wrote:
Let me preface by saying... I'm mostly kidding here. I'm posting out of curiosity. Of course I understand that people come before the game. But ignoring the humanity of it, I want your opinion. Here's the scenario:

Four good friends playing 3rd round of Risk Legacy. The game is nearly over and it is the middle of Player 1's turn. Player 1 is mostly dominating. Player 2 is playing the pest and prolonging the game, but no cards and no major armies left (lots of terratories). Player 3 is eliminated. Player four is certainly being eliminated this turn, with the dice about to roll when...

Kids start screaming. All hell breaks loose. The 7 year old cracked her head on something and is bleeding. Off to the hospital.

Does Player 1 get declared the winner?
Should Player 3 be assumed eliminated (it really was inevitable)?
Just scrap the game like it never happened?

The only reason I hesitate to scrap it (beyond that not being fair to Player 1) is the Legacy nature of this game. Cards were already written on the back of. But really that's it.

Opinions?

If it weren't a Legacy game, I'd just say scrap it - as it is one... Leave set up for when the kid's back and ok enough for you to resume, if that's an option, it's not like you're going to be putting it away while whisking a kid to A&E, anyway...

(Glad the kid was ok with just a single stitch.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have just brought the game, as is, to the emergency room and finished it out while you wait in the lobby for three hours to get seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
You should have just brought the game, as is, to the emergency room and finished it out while you wait in the lobby for three hours to get seen.

This reminds me of the Risk game in the subway on Seinfeld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remain seated while everyone else ran to help, and shouted after them, "so you all forfeit, then?!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar question:

What would be the protocol for a game that "has to be" interrupted?

For the sake of assumption let's just say the interruption is important enough that everyone agrees that the game needs to be interrupted because if the answer is "it depends" then the answers following could be in the thousands, lol.

For me, if the interruption is unavoidable then if able an agreement may ensue as to whether or not count points right then and there or take a picture and resume the game at a later time (or leave it set up if no one owns cats or small children) or just call it a wash.

I would be good with any of those answers since to me games are never important enough to finish at all costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I have a similar question:

What would be the protocol for a game that "has to be" interrupted?

For the sake of assumption let's just say the interruption is important enough that everyone agrees that the game needs to be interrupted because if the answer is "it depends" then the answers following could be in the thousands, lol.

For me, if the interruption is unavoidable then if able an agreement may ensue as to whether or not count points right then and there or take a picture and resume the game at a later time (or leave it set up if no one owns cats or small children) or just call it a wash.

I would be good with any of those answers since to me games are never important enough to finish at all costs.

If it can't be left for later, call it a wash. If it can, then treat it exactly the same as a game you voluntarily interrupt to e.g. go for a meal or overnight. Me and my husband can't be the only people who sometimes plan to play the Early (and sometimes Mid) war of Twilight Struggle, break off for a meal, and come back after the meal, surely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Morehouse
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses people!

To answer some questions/further details:

- No, not my kid. So no conspiracy where she "took one for the team". Lol
- Leaving it set up wasn't an option. It was late, and the game was on the kitchen table and we wouldn't be playing for at least another week.
- I cleaned up the game and took their other daughter to my house while they went to the hospital.
- I found out today that Player 3 had already chosen their "elimination bonus" for their faction, so that's another reason not to scrap it.

I did take photographs of the state of the game before putting it away. However, that's not perfect since the resource cards that were already spent weren't recorded. Not a big deal. I'm not sure it is worthwhile setting the game back up for such an inevitable outcome.

I spoke with the other players:

Player 3 (eliminated) and Player 4 (disclosure: my wife) agree that Player 1 (me) wins and Player 4 should be presumed eliminated as it was inevitable. Player 2 thinks (jokingly? I'm not sure) that we should scrap the game.

Either way... fun game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.