Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After much discussion, here is the list of hot games for the start of BGG Con 2016. As usual, some games may be traded out over time.
The current total is 30 games.

2 Feast for Odin
2 Great Western Trail
2 Terraforming Mars
2 Cottage Garden
1 Inis
2 Oracle of Delphi
1 Captain Sonar
2 Colonists
2 Railroad Revolution
2 Adrenaline
2 Fabled Fruit
1 Key to the City - London
1 Mechs vs. Minions
1 Power Grid: Cards
1 Lorenzo il Magnifico
1 La Granja: Dice
1 Cry Havoc
1 Fields of Green
1 Dream Home
1 First Class
1 Manhattan Project: Energy Empire

John Mellby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Final Hot Games list for 2016
Made a geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to the con several times but have actually never been to (or seen?) the "hot games room". Is it a separate literal room? Do the games not leave that area? Are games checked out the same way library copies are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I've been to the con several times but have actually never been to (or seen?) the "hot games room". Is it a separate literal room? Do the games not leave that area? Are games checked out the same way library copies are?

In prior years they have been in a separate area. Last year and this year they are on one side of the ballroom. Games are always set up and don't leave their respective tables (unless something isn't getting played, then it will be swapped for another game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lainie Theys
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hot Games this year will be located in a section of the main ballroom. There is typically a banner on the wall identifying the area.

Hot games are setup at all times on the tables. We have a limited number of volunteers who staff the area to help with instructions, resetting games after they've been played, etc. The games John listed will be setup and ready to play as soon as we open the doors on Wednesday.

These particular copies of the games cannot be checked out. Depending on the title, additional copies may or may not be available in the library depending on how many are available to us.

Edit: Hot games hours are listed in the program. This room is closed down and secured every night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
In prior years they have been in a separate area. Last year and this year they are on one side of the ballroom. Games are always set up and don't leave their respective tables (unless something isn't getting played, then it will be swapped for another game).

I wonder whether an exception will be made for Captain Sonar. Playing that in the main ballroom would require superhuman hearing (and an unusually large table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:

For many years the 'hot games room' was a literal room. The first year at the Hyatt, for example, the entire room that is now the location of the library was the hot games room. I seem to remember that the last year at the previous hotel, the Weston, it was two small hot game rooms.

For at least the last two years the 'hot games room' has been a 'hot games area'. Last year it was the left side of the main ballroom. The year before that it took up half of the Aviators room (which was the second Exhibition hall last year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Spielguy wrote:

I wonder whether an exception will be made for Captain Sonar. Playing that in the main ballroom would require superhuman hearing (and an unusually large table).

Yeah, I question this one too. The one pro I see is that it'll be easier to recruit 8 players if it's sitting out. However, it takes next to no time to actually aet up and, most importantly, the noise level in the ballroom would seem to make it impossible to play out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first year I went to BGG.CON (2012 I think?), the hot games room was a source of great amusement and irony, as it was very cold in there. There were jokes aplenty about how the room had to be kept cold because the games were so hot (and other variants on that).

Thankfully that hasn't been a problem other years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
The first year I went to BGG.CON (2012 I think?), the hot games room was a source of great amusement and irony, as it was very cold in there. There were jokes aplenty about how the room had to be kept cold because the games were so hot (and other variants on that).

Thankfully that hasn't been a problem other years.

I'm not sure when my first BGG Con was. 2010 maybe? Anyway, it actually WAS a room of its own... and that was horrible. People were just wedged in there and you felt totally detached from the rest of the con. It's been so much better since they put it in a more open space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
grasa_total wrote:
Spielguy wrote:

Yeah, I question this one too. The one pro I see is that it'll be easier to recruit 8 players if it's sitting out. However, it takes next to no time to actually aet up and, most importantly, the noise level in the ballroom would seem to make it impossible to play out there.

We'll start with one copy in the Hot Games room, in the back corner, and another copy in the library for check-out. This game is best learned turn-based and in that case noise isn't a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
We'll start with one copy in the Hot Games room, in the back corner, and another copy in the library for check-out.

Yay!

Quote:
This game is best learned turn-based and in that case noise isn't a factor.

Best learned maybe, but not best played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Yokohama isn't on the list but it is in the hot games room.
And it is great, my favorite hot game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.