Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wowzers.

Over the last 5-6 weeks I've stubbornly been trying to win Flies and Spiders from the On The Doorstep expansion. I didn't change my heroes because, well, I wanted to keep my group together through all of these saga expansions. So my two-handed team of Bard/Dain/Gloin and Beravor/Gimli/Legolas kept trying. And trying. AND TRYING.

I went 0 for my first 13 attempts. I finally just won! This adventure is just BRUTAL.

I didn't get any of Bilbo's treasures from Over Hill and Under Hill, and I think that's part of the problem... getting Sting attached to Bilbo really changes things. But man I lost this adventure in every way possible.

The spiders overall are just really hard. All of them range from 3-5 attack value, and then the shadow effects of adding venom make it even harder. You have to be extremely strategic in how you use your allies, because if an ally happens to draw the wicked spider shadow that adds two venom, that character will then be unconscious, and the damage then must go to a hero.

Then the treacheries just make you want to throw something. Poisoned by spiders can kill heroes extremely easily if you aren't really strategic. Or if you are just unlucky.

I remember losing twice in a row because once Bilbo got alone, the stupid Crazy Cob came and attacked him twice and I died right away. Once I got to the last stage with both groups and then treacheries killed 3-4 heroes. Oh, and one time, because I'm an idiot, my one copy of Bilbo's Magic Ring was my first poison card... and I tried making a go of it with Bilbo not having the ring. That went well cry. I mean, I could go on, but just suffice to say, I failed and failed a lot.

It honestly was just pissing me off for a while. It wasn't fun getting the random draws that could ruin 90 minutes of game time. But... I kept coming back and I do realize that this is one of the more thematic adventures ever.

So how did I win it? My decks are here and here. Well, first I'd say pimping out Beravor was the key to my victory. Arming her with A Burning Brand along with Dunedain Warning and a Cram was important for Bilbo's first "save" on his stage 3 work. Having her at 3 defense and canceling out all shadow effects was key to deflect some of the spiders. I focused my Beravor/Gimli/Legolas team to get boosted with attachments vs. playing allies, so I had pimped out Beravor, Gimli with Ring Mail and a Dwarrowdelf Axe, and Legolas with the Rivendell Blade.

Sneak attack and Gandalf was always important for getting thread down on the other side. I also made what turned out to be a good decision and put the Celebrian Stone on Bilbo vs. Gloin as I usually do. That helped as Bilbo was able to make progress on stage 3 quicker.

The most important move of the night? When I was at about 7 progress on stage 3, Beravor had two resources and I decided to play Miner of the Iron Hills and remove Bilbo's one poison. He was at three damage (Ring Mail added one hit point). On the last turn of the game, I drew the dreaded Poisoned by Spiders... Bilbo would've died, but that move kept him from dying. I was freaked out on that last turn as I lost FOUR heroes from poisoned by Spiders, but Faramir was able to add the final 3 willpower I needed to finish the adventure.

Now that I've finally won, I think I love this adventure. Its deep, has variety, and required lots of deckbuilding tweaking... and now I feel accomplished.

Thought I'd share. For those who are about to embark on the mission... you have a chance, seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grats! it's the best feeling to (finally) finish some of the really difficult quests

Nez477 wrote:

I went 0 for my first 13 attempts. I finally just won! This adventure is just BRUTAL.
usually way before this point i do the 'actually this is what happened....' and keep going just cos i'm so tired of smacking against a wall lol.

but i do like that some of the quests are really brutal. some are easy and relaxing, while others are there if i really want a challenge and don't have room for mistakes, really keep me on my game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to the win! This was an interesting read.

I remember this one and it is not a good memory. This quest is brutal. I probably tried as many times as you and after my first win I left and never came back to this quest.

Sidenote hint: Eagles of the Misty Mountains is a great ally for this quest because every poison attachment is also a facedown attachment and therefore boosts the eagles at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.