Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game tonight where we came to a nearly S reaching halt towards the end of the game. All of the islands had been conquered, all events had been completed, all bragging (bugle?) had been done, yet the leader only had 5 buildings constructed. No one could visit any islands because there was no money available from treasure hunting, aside from the 1 coin you can take when the map is empty.

I finally managed to end the game using a building ability that gave me 3 coins when taking an island diplomatically and then built and purchased on that same turn. I won by a landslide and the last half hour of the game wasn't very enjoyable to anyone at the table.

Is this common with other groups? Do you find money to be scarce in the latter stages of a game? What TTPs (tactics, techniques, and procedures) do you use to mitigate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What was the state of the rest of the game? How many players did you have?

How much renown did people have at that point? This is primarily important in the event that all of the 7-point tokens were taken by then, as that is a trigger for the end of the game now.

How many buildings did each person have and were they perhaps buying a building at the wrong time (e.g. When they would not have enough coins left over to Visit islands afterward)?

Your situation just seems really strange. It is unquestionably not a common occurrence, so, and please forgive me, but it leads me to believe that there were some sub-optimal plays and/or a misunderstanding of some rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,
Thanks for the feedback, there were definitely some sub-optimal plays. I definitely purchased buildings early when it would have been advisable to build instead.
We hadn't yet exhausted the reknown track and really didn't have any way to increase it as all the Bible cards had been used. I had three markers and everyone else had 1 or 2.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you go through all the "bragging cards" you re shuffle them and make two new piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
When you go through all the "bragging cards" you re shuffle them and make two new piles.

blush Thanks, I missed that. It still doesn't solve the money problem though. I'm leaning towards the fact that our session went a bit awry on us. With so much to do, it's easy to forget that buildings are what drive the end game and that conquering islands and gaining diplomacy cubes really only build your engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, my guess is that your group played something fundamentally wrong. For instance, did you take money when gaining a town (either the diplomatical or military way)? In my experience, money is very tight at the beginning, but not so much once you have enough influence or military power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalPirate wrote:
Jason, my guess is that your group played something fundamentally wrong. For instance, did you take money when gaining a town (either the diplomatical or military way)? In my experience, money is very tight at the beginning, but not so much once you have enough influence or military power.

:facepalm: That was it! We completely forgot to take the spoils... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:

I don't have the game in front of me and the on-line PDF here is preliminary rules, but I don't think you do. As I remember, you shuffle event cards when you run out but the bragging cards are once through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
MetalPirate wrote:

That'll do it... being the primary way of gaining coins in the game lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I guess everyone of us could tell about a similar blunder, but it takes courage to actually do it...

Have fun with your next game of Islebound, then played with correct rules. It is a great game. Terraforming Mars was as good as expected (I preordered it), but Islebound and Ulm were my two major positive surprises of 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made the same mistake in our game. Major mistake I should add

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.