GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,045 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

City of Iron: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scouting question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc G•Wiz
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey hey,

Question about scouting: (Assume you have a scouting building)

You choose the "Attack Town" action but can't afford to conquer the top town so scout to the next one in hopes of having enough guns/distance to conquer it. Unfortunately it is still not conquerable (you don't have enough guns and/or distance to conquer it either). What do you do now? Is the action lost? Can you go ahead and conquer an easier town (1-star or opponent's conquered town instead of a 2- or 3-star)? Can you take a different action? The rule book didn't seem to have any answer on this.

We played that you had to choose a different action but it was not very satisfying...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong but I thought the order of the towns is known information and the scouting ability on the building is an ongoing thing, as in you know before taking the attack action if you can conquer or not, so the situation you've described wouldn't occur as you would know before hand if the attack would be successful or not. Of course this is all hypothetical if the beginning of my post is not correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Nolto
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaz72uk wrote:
...the order of the towns is known information and the scouting ability on the building is an ongoing thing, as in you know before taking the attack action if you can conquer or not, so the situation you've described wouldn't occur as you would know before hand if the attack would be successful or not.

This is my understanding as well. The order of the towns is public information. Anyone can look at what towns are below the topmost town. However, only someone with scouting is able to conquer a town that is not topmost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc G•Wiz
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks both; you're both right. I checked the rules again, and it's there, but (obviously) missed it. Much appreciated.
Bah! I would have won my last game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, it's a great game. I'm really enjoying many of his titles including above and below and eight minute empire legends. Just bought Islebound, but that's for under the christmas tree for a house gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.