Popular Tags: [View All]
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,
Been going through my first Hoth campaign, am halfway through and just got over the Return to Echo Base mission.
Here you have to draw the third threat mission of the campaign out of the four that are in the box, this brought to me some worries about how this campaign pans out compared to the core one.
For what I saw here on the PBFs people like to play the Hoth campaign more than the base one, probably 'cause it's more balanced in favor for the Rebels, but I don't think I like that much the fact that you pretty much always see those same threat missions but one in every campaign you do. That feels hindering, even more so when you have to give up one of your secondary missions to get rid of one of those.
What's the community thought about it?
Isn't it limiting and a tad repetitive or I'm missing something?

Bonus points for Sorin and the rocketpunch-wampas tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurin Kennerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found that the rebels are owning the Hoth campaign as much as the base campaign. I think we have lost 1 mission in the build up to finale.

My only criticism with both campaigns are the missions without a time limit. The rebel ability to heal up really does slow these down and they only go one way...

I'd like to see campaigns introduce variable threat levels... i.e. if the imperial player is losing lots of missions his threat increases (over the printed value) and visa-versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you see a lot of Return to Hoth campaigns in PBF because most people have already played the core campaign in real face-to-face campaigns.

As of right now, my thought is that the missions in the Return to Hoth campaign is generally easier for the rebels. So, if they are good players, the rebels are going to win a lot, especially if the imperial class deck is slow-starting (i.e. all of them except Military Might).

I'm probably going to play another Return to Hoth campaign with some other class deck (than Precision Training) so see how it plays then, and to get to play more of the story missions. If it turns out to be as one-sided as the current campaign indicates, I'm not keen playing RtH again after that. But that isn't because you'll see the same threat missions.

I'm also considering starting another core for less experienced rebels players, Jabba's Realm as soon as it is available, and possibly another extended minicampaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Geek wrote:
We have found that the rebels are owning the Hoth campaign as much as the base campaign. I think we have lost 1 mission in the build up to finale.

My only criticism with both campaigns are the missions without a time limit. The rebel ability to heal up really does slow these down and they only go one way...

I'd like to see campaigns introduce variable threat levels... i.e. if the imperial player is losing lots of missions his threat increases (over the printed value) and visa-versa.

True.
I fucked up badly the second to last mission we played (luxury cruise) and on the last turn when I had practically already won I completely forgot to heal up my only unharmed hero and got killed. But up until that point I was winning easilly, and the Imperial player was getting frustrated too so maybe me losing was for the best (since if he leaves me I'm screwed as I know nobody else to play with).
About the mission mechanics I think FFG is experimenting, maybe too slowly and without going too much out of their minds with interesting mechanics, like the Return to Echo Base missions or the threat mission with the flamethrowers troops. In Jabba's looks like there's gonna be some interaction with the Sarlacc pit too, in the form of figures being pushed inside its mouth.

a1bert wrote:
I'm also considering starting another core for less experienced rebels players, Jabba's Realm as soon as it is available, and possibly another extended minicampaign.

Plannig to do other PBF or real cardboard campaigns?
I hope with that buddy of mine we can start another campaign finished this one on Hoth adding the Bespin Gambit, I'm italian and he's not comfortable with English so I won't see Jabba for a couple more months, probably it will come out here translated we there's gonna be the new 40$ set after Jabba's.
I put myself on the list for the PBFs too, hope I can get to know some new people to share something with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
FeyrBert wrote:
a1bert wrote:

The listed ones are plans for PBF. I do get to play some IA with my group, but we also have a lot of other games to play depending on how many players we have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
FeyrBert wrote:
a1bert wrote:

The listed ones are plans for PBF. I do get to play some IA with my group, but we also have a lot of other games to play depending on how many players we have.

Cool
If you ever find yourself needing one more guy, wich I doubt but whatever, count me in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up our Return to Hoth campaign this weekend and it seemed to be fairly unbalanced in favor of the Rebels (11-0 in favor of the Rebels). Granted, it was the Imperial player's first campaign as Imperial and he was running Precision Training which I wasn't overly impressed with up against the top 3 Rebel heroes (Gideon, Fenn, Diala) + Loku. I plan to play another Return to Hoth campaign where I play the Imperial against a player who has not seen the RTH campaign and see how it goes from that side of the table to get a better idea how I think it balances out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
machfalcon wrote:
Just finished up our Return to Hoth campaign this weekend and it seemed to be fairly unbalanced in favor of the Rebels (11-0 in favor of the Rebels). Granted, it was the Imperial player's first campaign as Imperial and he was running Precision Training which I wasn't overly impressed with up against the top 3 Rebel heroes (Gideon, Fenn, Diala) + Loku. I plan to play another Return to Hoth campaign where I play the Imperial against a player who has not seen the RTH campaign and see how it goes from that side of the table to get a better idea how I think it balances out.

Probably they made the Hoth missions a lot easier for the rebels to win 'cause they thought the bane cards (i don't know how they're called in english sorry, the cards that come with the threat missions) would give the Empire an edge.

Did the imperial player feel frustrated to witness the 11-0?
On my part all the missions I played so far were pretty close but the Return to Echo Base that I lost without even a sweat dropped by the Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FeyrBert wrote:

Probably they made the Hoth missions a lot easier for the rebels to win 'cause they thought the bane cards (i don't know how they're called in english sorry, the cards that come with the threat missions) would give the Empire an edge.

Did the imperial player feel frustrated to witness the 11-0?
On my part all the missions I played so far were pretty close but the Return to Echo Base that I lost without even a sweat dropped by the Empire

Not sure regarding the threat missions. It does seem like the campaign structure does strongly encourage choosing the threat missions over the other side missions. For the first play-through, I didn't mind taking the threat missions since they felt thematically tied to the Hoth campaign but it does seem like it might not be as fun in subsequent Hoth campaigns since you would likely see the same missions over and over.

Regarding going 11-0 in the campaign, the Imperial player was definitely frustrated at times but towards the end of the campaign seemed to be okay with how things were going. Of course I'm sure he would have preferred to win more missions but he seemed to be less visibly frustrated towards the end. The missions in Return to Hoth do seem to be structured quite a bit differently than the core campaign and with more experienced Rebel players, I am not entirely surprised by the outcome. Additionally, there does seem to be some evidence that our experience was not entirely out of the norm.

Return to hoth - mission balance poll:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1512996/poll-how-balanced-e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
machfalcon wrote:

Not sure regarding the threat missions. It does seem like the campaign structure does strongly encourage choosing the threat missions over the other side missions. For the first play-through, I didn't mind taking the threat missions since they felt thematically tied to the Hoth campaign but it does seem like it might not be as fun in subsequent Hoth campaigns since you would likely see the same missions over and over.

That's what worries me about replayability.
I mean you end up drawing 3 out of 4 threat missions every campaign, no variation allowed. And you have to take less green and grey side missions too in the deck.
The only thing that I see as a plus is the fact that you have more chance on drawing the heroes personal missions, as I found those usually very story heavy and with cool unique rewards (even tho some are a bit underwhelming).
I don't know why you couldn't just have the threat mission shuffled in the deck and maybe, when you draw one, the rule would be "draw another mission after this one" so that you can still choose to do or not do some of those.

Minor spoiler from the banes
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I mean I can play with one less crate or with one hero taking one less action for the rest of the campaign, but OF COURSE I'm not gonna let the IP take 1 extra influence every mission. So if that's one of the 3 you draw you're gonna see 75% of the campaign you make that mission plyed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hickey
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just started the Hoth campaign (2 missions in with 1 win each). I have to admit, when I first played through the core campaign (as the Imperial), I was getting frustrated at times until I eased back my competitive nature and treated it more like a hybrid GM/competitor. As long as the game was good, it didn't matter if I won any of them. I think I only won one of those (the Han Solo side mission - which I creamed them in). Anyway, after playing through Twin Shadows, we're now onto Hoth.
First mission, the Rebel players were getting the beat down. I had 2 wounded within 2 rounds, but they were able to recover and win the mission. Last night, we played "Survival of the Fittest" (interesting game). Somewhere around round 9, the only Rebel player left (who was playing 2 characters) asked if she could just surrender. They've been in tight places before, so I said sure, but they've won on the last die roll of the last round before, so who knows what could happen. They still lost, but it was a lot closer than she probably thought was possible. Essentially, if her player (Loku) could have survived the rest of the round and did the final task
Spoiler (click to reveal)
rolling three surges to revive the lost rebel
, they could have won. However, I had a pretty sizeable army she would have had to dodge. The tight space helped her, but still, the Nexu got her down to 1hp and the first of three stormtroopers finished her off. Still... a lot closer than they all would have thought after, say, round 4 started.
Anyway, I'm glad I got this win in early as it should help set them up in a "we're not going to win them all" mindset. Maybe they still will, but I'm personally enjoying the Hoth campaign so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.