Subject: Solo playing - more than one trait ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I am taking my LoTR TCG from its shelf, after it was put there four years ago.
I remember having soloed it two or three times, with the hazy memory that it was extremely hard to beat.

Rediscovering the rules, I have a question : when playing solo, do you only use one Sphere of Influence Deck and heroes?
It seems complicated to have only one type of heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are you asking if the rules forbid having more than one sphere of hero?

if so, then no, there's no limit. you can have up to 3 different spheres (and all four represented in other cards and abilities, like a few heroes that gain resource icons and the Song of x attachments)
as far as cards included in your deck, you can include anything, even if you have no chance of actually playing it (and many cards and abilities can help you get past that if you really want to play them, but for the sake of argument, you can have all Leadership (purple) heroes and all Tactics (red) cards in your deck, and that would be perfectly 'legal' per the rules)

as for complexity, i'm not sure i understand. it actually makes things more complex, since you have to have a resource match for whatever you're playing. you can't play resource from a Spirit (blue) hero to pay for a Lore (green) card, even if you also pay from a Lore hero as well
some cards and abilities of course allow this to happen, but multisphere decks are inherently more complex than monosphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick answer ! thumbsup

I do understand that one can solo as if two players were involved : I was just checking that normally, you choose one Sphere of Influence type, and decide to 1-3 of the heroes associated with it?

I had the impression that, if you only have, say, Leadership heroes, and the Leadership deck, it will limit possibilities and make winning the scenario difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not watch a video how it's played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ242SoRyVQ

these guys play through the first quest, and it gives you back a hint how to construct decks.

For solo play it's more or less the same, but you are somewhat more limited in your options and some spheres will perform better against a certain quest than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot!
I will.give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

I do understand that one can solo as if two players were involved : I was just checking that normally, you choose one Sphere of Influence type, and decide to 1-3 of the heroes associated with it?
that's one way of doing it, but you don't necessarily have to. most of my decks have 2 heroes of one sphere and one here of another (dual sphere), but i occasionally like monosphere (particularly Tactics and Lore and Outlands with Leadership)

Quote:
I had the impression that, if you only have, say, Leadership heroes, and the Leadership deck, it will limit possibilities and make winning the scenario difficult.
i would say that, with the core, this is only true for Tactics (but it is a glaring weakness of Tactics). they are really great and fighting, but terrible at questing, so it's easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you don't even draw many enemies.

it's kind of turned around with recent additions to Tactics, but i'd say it's still overall very much about attacking/defending against enemies and gaining bonuses for doing so, which makes it quite a difficult solo sphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew.
I really must get things started again, and probe the mechanics of the game.

I looked at the video that Koen gave a link to.
Those players do know their stuff by heart - not easy to grasp everything that is going on - but it gives a good feel of the flow of play.
Now I will be spelunking again in my rulebook, to grasp the different elements of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

Those players do know their stuff by heart - not easy to grasp everything that is going on - but it gives a good feel of the flow of play.

yes, most of the time they know exactly what is in the encounter deck, and will adapt their deck accordingly.

For me a good way to start was trying to beat mirkwood with each of the preconstructed mono-sphere decks, to feel their strengts and weaknesses.
Start with Spirit or leadership, end with tactics (and don't expect to win that one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried Mirkwood with Leadership (and the three heroes).
I was severly thrashed.
EDIT:I know what I did wrong !
I drew three cards per turn, rather than one, confusing the number of heroes (3) with the number of players (1) !
Ugh !

Only one attachment came up (a +2 will boost - with a side effect for Aragorn, which allows him to buy Spirit cards, so it didn't apply) : a Shadow effect forced him to discard it...
I battled many spiders, but there were many Locations drawn and I simply couldn't amass enough will to beat the threat level and progress: just two footsteps along the forest road.
At the start of the last turn, before even drawing cards, my guys could only amass 7 will points and there were 19 threat poings facing them - including six locations and the big boss...
And my threat level was 46.

I find that the accumulation of Locations heaps threats that cannot be easily deleted.

If I dare a question : at the end of a turn, are non defeated enemies simply returned to the progression zone, with the possible wounds, so that next turn they will have to be confronted again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
I just tried Mirkwood with Leadership (and the three heroes).
I was severly thrashed.
EDIT:I know what I did wrong !
I drew three cards per turn, rather than one, confusing the number of heroes (3) with the number of players (1) !
Ugh !

There is a nightmare scenario available, but I would suggest you just draw 1 per player

Robin wrote:

At the start of the last turn, before even drawing cards, my guys could only amass 7 will points and there were 19 threat poings facing them - including six locations and the big boss...
And my threat level was 46.

I find that the accumulation of Locations heaps threats that cannot be easily deleted.

Location lock can happen in mirkwood, try Spirit and get those northern trackers on the table to avoid that

Robin wrote:

If I dare a question : at the end of a turn, are non defeated enemies simply returned to the progression zone, with the possible wounds, so that next turn they will have to be confronted again?

Undefeated enemies stay engaged with you, so their threat doesn't count up the next rounds (just as the location you traveled to doesn't count it's threat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foentje wrote:
Undefeated enemies stay engaged with you, so their threat doesn't count up the next rounds (just as the location you traveled to doesn't count it's threat)
Well that helps a lot ! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.