Subject: Play Area Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on running a Forstgrave campaign soon and at the moment I'm busy painting up models and getting terrain sorted out. There's going to be around 5 players. How big a playing area do you think would be appropriate for that many? I'm guessing 3 by 3 might be a bit too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason why it has to be the same for each campaign game. Mixing it up will help each game to feel different.

Having said that, I'd say that 3'x3' is going to feel tight with 5 players but of course you may not get 5 for each game.

Have you considered a round table for awkward numbers (like 5)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it going to be a 5 player game or just a campaign with 5 players?

3x3 i think is great for 2-3 players, you're in a city with lots of terrain features so i like the tight everyone up in each others face...

Frostgrave isn't a game of balance so sometimes adding more chaos to the swingy dice is just what the doctor ordered!

Mind you i'm weird... some people just want to watch the world burn....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 5 players makes it a bit difficult. If it's cut-throat, every wizard for him- or herself, how will they deploy? It would be *really cool* if you came up with a pentagonal board, equidistant from the center.

Other than that, I don't have lots of advice. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Z.
Italy
GE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing a 3-players campaign, where most of games all players partecipate in a 3-way game. We play on a round table with a diameter just a tad shorter than 120cm/4ft. We feel the table quite-right-maybe-a-tad-large, so 4 players coild easily fit on it, maybe even 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies chaps. Main reason I'm asking is just so I can get an idea how much terrain I'm going to need to build/buy. Originally I was picturing a surface equal in size to my dining room table (which admittedly is a bit of an odd size - just over 6 foot long and about 3.5 feet wide). But perhaps even with 5 warbands that might seem like they were rattling around in all that space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
3 x 3 is great for 2 & 3 player games. Looking at the table-size you have on offer, a 4.5 x 3.5 I reckon would do really well for 4 players and maybe 5.

But key to FG is terrain. Plenty of features, to break up L-o-S, provide some clever spots of cover, have some rooms within ruined buildings, alleyways, and don't forget you can take it 'upstairs' too, i.e., add some upper levels to some of the ruins, and parapets and walkways to walls, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've been using 4x4 for 4 player games. It is plenty of room.
For some scenarios I cut it down to 3x3 or 3.5x3.5

Main thing with frostgrave is getting people to fight - make sure you put the treasures in places that forces some kind of confrontation, otherwise you get boring scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.