Andy
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
"I am the one who knocks..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So I appreciate that this is a bit of a strange question but does the game spoil the book at all?

I ask because I would really like to play it with some friends today but one of them is currently reading the book on which the game is based and he is hesitant to play it in case it reveals any spoilers. I said I'd ask on BGG to see what people say but from my own investigation the only thing I can see being potential spoilers is the italic flavour text on the event cards.

If that's all it is then hopefully he can just not focus on what they say and just focus on the resources that get dealt out etc.

I could always wait till he finishes the book but he's a painfully slow reader and I've had the game well over a year already and still haven't got it to the table!

Thanks,

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certainly bits from the text on the cards that mention certain key events in the book, so if your friend doesn't want to have it spoiled, they should avoid it. You could skip it and just do the directions on the card, though some of those might hint at potential events - closing the cloth/wool market for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the event cards also make reference to stuff so neutral and general that aren't really spoilers of important parts of the book, and probably de first two chapters are safe because he should already be over them. Sadly, about 7 of the 11 cards corresponding to chapter four include real spoilers from the book (and you need to use 6 of them for each chapter of the game).

However, the spoilers are only in the flavor text, not in the effect and not really in the images (you don't know who the people in the illustrations are meant to be). If you absolutely wanna try the game then remove a couple of evidently spoilery cards from Ch 2 and 3 (the ones that show specific characters dying or returning) and use only the six cards marked with the blue shield and star on chapter four (those are casually the less spoilery ones) during the game setup, and you do the reading of the effects skipping the flavor text in italics each time a card is drawn, then you can play a mostly spoiler free game.

That's unless your friend is extremely picky about what constitues spoilers. If he's gonna have the book "ruined" by simply knowing that there was a lot of war, misery, and that the black plague comes to town and causes a lot of trouble at some point (a fact that is well known about the book and this particular author, prominently featured in the flaps of the book jacket and every review, and based on real european history of the time) then you'll have to wait until he finishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
"I am the one who knocks..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for the replies.

We decided not to play it in the end. The plan had been to play "Pillars" first and then follow up with "World Without End" for fun but we decided instead to go with our Plan B for a rainy Sunday afternoon: a 3 hour game of "Merchants and Marauders".

Hopefully I'll get WWE to the table soon enough! But after having another look at the cards I could definitely see how some events listed on them could be considered big spoilers for the book. The plague and Edward III going to war less so since they are historical events that actually happened but book-wise there were a few characters mentioned that could have spoiled things.

Cheers,

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy - enjoy the game, but be sure to play with 4p, otherwise the best part of the game- the tightness - is lost. With 4p, it's sublime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Andy - enjoy the game, but be sure to play with 4p, otherwise the best part of the game- the tightness - is lost. With 4p, it's sublime.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup 100% agree A remarkable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
This is my favorite board game and IMO plays as well with 2 (easier to score more but still competitive).

I am finally reading the book and loving the extra flavor! Though there are definitely spoilers (I know OP's issue is moot but in case anyone has a similar question in the future...). Even what the first building project is, and the resource it's made from, constitutes a rather large one though obviously doesn't reveal what causes the decision to rebuild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.