Blood Bowl (2016 edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Anywhere i can see the rules?..still not sure this game is for me so want to do a bit more research..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I know, there is no pdf available of the 2016 rulebook, but since nearly nothing has changed, you can use the latest edition of the living rulebook.

http://www.bloodbowlgamers.com/downloads/LRB6.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
Anywhere i can see the rules?..still not sure this game is for me so want to do a bit more research..

There is pretty comprehensive info on bloodbowl.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
As far as I know, there is no pdf available of the 2016 rulebook, but since nearly nothing has changed, you can use the latest edition of the living rulebook.

Is GW going to use the current state of the Living Rulebook or are they going off on their own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm pretty sure they are going with the Living Rules. They're putting it out in pieces (more money that way, of course). The "Death Bowl" expansion, that's releasing at the same time as the game, has the league rules in it and some more expanded rules.

Bakkster wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Is GW going to use the current state of the Living Rulebook or are they going off on their own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just you wait.
badge
There's a million things I haven't done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakkster wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

They've pledged to keep the "core rules" the same. We've seen some very small changes to rosters thus far--human catchers have had a small price reduction, and there's a new skill on Skaven Gutter Runners. There will probably be broader changes to league rules (which have been described as "optional"). All of this is based on LRB6 (aka the CRP), which is the version that's in the video game and widely used in tournaments among enthusiasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a couple minor tweaks.

Human catchers have a reduced cost.

Skaven gutter runners have a new extraordinary ability, weeping dagger (they can reroll 'badly injured' results when injuring players) -- it's far more thematic than it is useful.

There's some new disincentives for hoarding too much gold.

In league play, players will eventually want to retire but you can pay them more to have them stay.

Piling On is now an optional rule and discouraged (but still in the rulebook for people who like it)

The designers said that making piling on optional was the most intrusive change they made to the rules, so yeah, it's pretty much the same game.

You could think of it as LRB 6.0b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still amazed after all this time they haven't addressed the whole permadeath issue. It's so old fashioned.

It's been argued to death a thousand times I know, and I do kind of agree that at a pretty high skill level the game is balanced (agile teams do win more often... even if the risk factor of having their team obliterated is fairly high) but it just seems so unnecessary.

It's hard enough to keep people interested in the digital versions when their favourite team suddenly loses a star player to the cruel whims of fate but playing the boardgame was basically impossible to keep players in a league.

The solution seems easy enough, change the scoring system so that touchdowns aren't just a point but say, five, then award two points for serious injuries (and tweak from there for balancing purposes, yes I stole this from Speedball). Remove permadeath and permanent injuries and it becomes so much easier to keep people involved.

Yes I know, it's Warhammer (ish) and horrendous death was a huge part of the game's backstory but the game is 30 years old. Any older and you'd be rolling dice to see how far you can move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks. If I want a game with hand holding or no incentive to play strategically, I will go play something different.

The perma death rules are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jasta wrote:
The solution seems easy enough, change the scoring system so that touchdowns aren't just a point but say, five, then award two points for serious injuries (and tweak from there for balancing purposes.

Terrible idea. A lot of Blood Bowl players are already straining their brains trying to remember the sole way to score in the game. Doubling ways to score would cause a riot. And five points for a touchdown? The average player (and most of the fans) would have to take their socks off in the second half to keep track of the score. The stench would be overwhelming.

Jasta wrote:
Remove permadeath and permanent injuries and it becomes so much easier to keep people involved.

You want to remove the blood from Blood Bowl? How do you play a super violent game of fantasy football with bloodthirsty monsters on the pitch, and then say there should be no injury or death? That sounds a step removed from deciding there's also no losers, and both teams get a participation ribbon and a pizza party. If you can't stand the blood in blood bowl, this may not be the game for you.

Jasta wrote:
Yes I know, it's Warhammer (ish) and horrendous death was a huge part of the game's backstory but the game is 30 years old. Any older and you'd be rolling dice to see how far you can move.

There's something you will find in common with most games that have survived over 30 years and are still enjoyed by fans. And that is that they have changed very little over the years, and fans are loathe to see the game change too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the random event cards coming back in the new edition? We basically quit using the newest rules when they took those out, because we loved the mayhem they caused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unplugged wrote:
Are the random event cards coming back in the new edition? We basically quit using the newest rules when they took those out, because we loved the mayhem they caused.

The new edition has two decks of special play cards, and rules to use them without even having to pay for them.

There was also an additional promo special play card for people who preordered online from GW. And I fully expect other promo cards will appear (at conventions for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah if you attend the Bugmans Beard Tournament at Warhammer World this month you will get an exclusive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomaso Cappotto
Italy
flag msg tools
There is one other major change: you can roll the MVP among 3 players of yur choice instead of the whole team.
This will allow to "level up" big guys and/or non-touchdown players easily, and I hope they will add this in the online game too: it's fair (when the MVP goes for the third time on a line, or goes on the player with 16 exp that will never level up again).

Some cards are a bit... overpowered, I understand they were there, but I would have left them as "optional" and not "mandatory".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Reg
msg tools
mbmb

Yeah I'm OK with perma death as well and I lost 8 players in my leagues 1st season. 8 deaths really slowed down my teams development but I still feel it part of what makes blood bowl the game that it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.