Popular Tags: no_misogyny_here... [+] [View All]
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honey, you weren't planning on using the living room for the next few months...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Honey, you weren't planning on using the living room for the next few months...?

Wife's response: Here is a sleeping bag, piss-pot, and an alarm. Enjoy sleeping there, until it's cleared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
zuludawn wrote:

Wife's response: Here is a sleeping bag, piss-pot, and an alarm. Enjoy sleeping there, until it's cleared.

Awesome!
Wargames and Camping!
Life just got good again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

No, and I wasn't planning to use the kitchen, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the current unpunched going rate for this title, I estimate that the real estate in use here is enhanced by at least $12.50/square foot!*

What do you think of that, Honey?

* Apologies for the 'merican measurements, Cpl.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My side, your side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be irresistible to a cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The divorce would consist of your wife getting half of all your games.

That would be the left half after the chainsaw had finished with each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wargamer conversations with my wife are typically like this:

"Hey, want to learn Combat Commander?"
"Ha ha, very funny. No."

Luckily she plays lots of other non-wargame games, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how did something happen.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
It worked a little different at my house.

First, I got to move all my games out of "my" game room upstairs and into boxes all piled wall-to-wall-to-ceiling in the foyer.

Next, I got to repair and repaint "my" game room. That includes adding new blinds, floor-to-ceiling shelves in the closet and mounting a 6'x6' framed pegboard on one wall.

Then I got to replace all the electrical outlets, switches and covers because the existing ones "looked dated".

Lastly I got to clean the carpets because they "smelled funny".

All of this because my sister-in-law visited for a week and suggested that "my" game room had lots more natural light (3 windows) and was bigger than the room my wife already used for her quilting hobby.

Actually the rooms were the same square footage but shaped slightly different. Oh, and there was no mention of the other room that was fully occupied with quilts, quilting materials and quilting tools.

Since I'm retired I could make the time to get the stuff done and since she's still working 2 jobs (heh, heh, all part of the master plan) I got to do it all without "help" making it go much faster.

I'm crazy in love with my wife so doing all of the above was, in the end, a labor of love but my games now reside in boxes until I can figure out which room I can now call "my" new game room.

I think I can make a game table by stacking the boxes in the center of the living room and putting a sheet of plywood on top maybe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
It worked a little different at my house.

First, I got to move all my games out of "my" game room upstairs and into boxes all piled wall-to-wall-to-ceiling in the foyer.

Next, I got to repair and repaint "my" game room. That includes adding new blinds, floor-to-ceiling shelves in the closet and mounting a 6'x6' framed pegboard on one wall.

Then I got to replace all the electrical outlets, switches and covers because the existing ones "looked dated".

Lastly I got to clean the carpets because they "smelled funny".

All of this because my sister-in-law visited for a week and suggested that "my" game room had lots more natural light (3 windows) and was bigger than the room my wife already used for her quilting hobby.

Actually the rooms were the same square footage but shaped slightly different. Oh, and there was no mention of the other room that was fully occupied with quilts, quilting materials and quilting tools.

Since I'm retired I could make the time to get the stuff done and since she's still working 2 jobs (heh, heh, all part of the master plan) I got to do it all without "help" making it go much faster.

I'm crazy in love with my wife so doing all of the above was, in the end, a labor of love but my games now reside in boxes until I can figure out which room I can now call "my" new game room.

I think I can make a game table by stacking the boxes in the center of the living room and putting a sheet of plywood on top maybe...

Was pretty much the same in my house, only differences:

1) I called several friends on more than one occasion, since I needed help to renovate the room (hey beer is a hell of a weight to carry)

2) There are always mishaps, when you start renovating: "Oh honey we miss some tools, so work has to stop before we do something wrong"

3) After we finally did all the renovating, two signs were nailed to the front door: one with "Oakland Raiders locker room, authorized personal only" and the other with one of my fav german jokes:

*women sitting in chair doing crossword puzzle*
"Honey, world super power with three letters?"
Answer by husband sitting next to her: "Moi!" (= translated "ME!")

So that left no questions unanswered.

When she proposed to renovate her room, since one of her sisters said it needed a new fresh look, guess what hit me? Correct, a really old injury to the back that I got from an accidental jump from my bike many years ago.

One rule of thumb in my household: Unless I don´t feel the inherent need to fix things or they are endangering health, either wait until I feel like doing it, or...

DO IT YOURSELF you emancipated modern day women! You want emancipation? Good, then play along the line 100%!. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
When do we start? Every man or woman for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife: "This is no longer your bachelor pad, this is my house. And it you insist on leaving it set up, then our bed will turn into my bed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

"Ha ha, very funny. No."

Once, I made a joke about Strip ASL with mine.
Similar result
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Duempel51 wrote:
... and the other with one of my fav german jokes:

Either I didn't get the deeper layer in there, but wouldn't a German wife say "Ich" whereas a French one would say "Moi" ?

Anyway, in the vein of this thread : years ago a friend of mine got divorced and moved to an apartment where you walked into the door and the first thing you saw was a wargame table. He called it his litmus test for new girlfriends - if they objected, they were out. He was pretty serious about this.

Obviously a case of self-selection, but the 3 other households were I regularly come to play a wargame all have the wargames stored and played in the living room. A 4th has a dedicated ground floor room. Seems to me USA-nians are much more whipped than our local boys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

Either I didn't get the deeper layer in there, but wouldn't a German wife say "Ich" whereas a French one would say "Moi" ?

Yeah, I was baffled at that joke too... Maybe something got lost in translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Obviously a case of self-selection, but the 3 other households were I regularly come to play a wargame all have the wargames stored and played in the living room. A 4th has a dedicated ground floor room. Seems to me USA-nians are much more whipped than our local boys

Well, in our case the wargames are stored in the living room for easier access when my wife & I play them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I see a thread like this my decision to not get married and to not own cats is proven correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

"Ha ha, very funny. No."

Luckily she plays lots of other non-wargame games, though.

Russ, I have the same conversation but mine is as such;
Overhead over breakfast

Honey, wanna learn how to play Combat Commander?

Honey, it's a real fun game!

Honey, I swear, you are going to love it!

Honey, you want me to do the dishes?

Yup....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

Yeah, I was baffled at that joke too... Maybe something got lost in translation.

Sounded to me like a Muppet Show joke with Miss Piggy saying "Moi" in an otherwise English language conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
danpancaldi wrote:

Honey, you want me to do the dishes?

When my wife and me first hooked up and I moved in, guess what the first appliance we bought together was ? Yup, a dish washer. We didn't know where the relationship would end up, but we both knew it wouldn't end well without one devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

Anyway, in the vein of this thread : years ago a friend of mine got divorced and moved to an apartment where you walked into the door and the first thing you saw was a wargame table. He called it his litmus test for new girlfriends - if they objected, they were out. He was pretty serious about this.

Actually that works too, but that joke was told to me by a belgian friend of mine on one of my visits to him. And in the best historic german manner I occupied it for the Krauts ;P

The joke is basically, that the wife needs U-S-A filled into the crossword puzzle and the husband replies in said word. Sorry that the joke did´t come around that well.

The difference between US wargamers and european wargamers in their struggle for space might be, that american women rely a lot more on the term "shot gun wedding". I certainly wouldn´t haggle that much with my wife if weapon laws would be that free wheeling over here like in the States. Or does somebody really deny the fact, that it´s fearsome when you hear the sound of a pump gun being repeated and readied for action? So well it is understandable in a way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
russ wrote:

"Ha ha, very funny. No."

Once, I made a joke about Strip ASL with mine.
Similar result

Wait, does she play ASL that doesn't involve taking clothes off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duempel51 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

Actually that works too, but that joke was told to me by a belgian friend of mine on one of my visits to him. And in the best historic german manner I occupied it for the Krauts ;P

The joke is basically, that the wife needs U-S-A filled into the crossword puzzle and the husband replies in said word. Sorry that the joke did´t come around that well.

The difference between US wargamers and european wargamers in their struggle for space might be, that american women rely a lot more on the term "shot gun wedding". I certainly wouldn´t haggle that much with my wife if weapon laws would be that free wheeling over here like in the States. Or does somebody really deny the fact, that it´s fearsome when you hear the sound of a pump gun being repeated and readied for action? So well it is understandable in a way

That's not what "shotgun wedding" means.

A shotgun wedding is when a young woman's family, armed with said shotguns, forces a young man to marry a girl he has had indiscretions with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
DegenerateElite wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Duempel51 wrote:

That's not what "shotgun wedding" means.

A shotgun wedding is when a young woman's family, armed with said shotguns, forces a young man to marry a girl he has had indiscretions with.

...and more generally now meaning any marriage that was hastily decided upon and executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.