$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
In a post someone asked about the cask structure (age 1 wine twice - gain a purple card) someone asked if they could take the space if they were unable to age a wine twice. Jamey, the designer of the game, responded with:

"No, if you can't take an action (on this card or anywhere on the board), you can't put a worker there and gain the bonus."

Which seems to be consistent with the the rules as I understand them.

However, in a a different post about the Master Vintner(Increase the value of 1 wine token by +2 and fill 1 {Wine Order}), Jamey's response seemed to indiciate that it could be used. He said:

"But you can also increase the value of a wine token and just not have it move anywhere (if it can't move anywhere due to cellar limitations), as in the case that Rami describes. Ideally you would avoid doing that to optimize a card, but it's possible."

Which seems to be inconsistent with the ruling for the cask. Is there something here that I'm not understanding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this question, and I apologize for causing any confusion.

The heart of this question is: If a visitor card or action tells you to age a wine token, but due to space/cellar limitations, are you allowed to play that visitor card or take that action?

To answer this question, I think it's important to look at the intent of the ability to age wine tokens. The intent is not to limit players--it's a benefit, not a cost.

Based on that, my second answer makes the most sense: You can age a wine token and just not move it anywhere (if it can't move due to cellar limitations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
Thanks for clearing that up Jamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Gorman
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Is this true only if the reason you can't age a wine is because of space limitation? So I cannot play this action or card if I have no wine to age? It's still a benefit not a cost. So it still should be optional?

Geo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card says to age wine, you must age it to the best of your ability, but if you're limited by your cellar, you can still play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Gorman
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
But, if I'm limited because I have no wine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play it if you have no wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.