5 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Can you change the number of players throughout? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Siconolfi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So I plan on buying this game and will usually be playing with my girlfriend. But we sometimes have friends over for game nights. Was wondering if we can start the game with the 2 of us and then add players to the game the next time we play (or remove them thereafter)? Or would we be stuck with just playing with just the two of us for the full course of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can change the player count freely each session. It is best playing the entire game with a dedicated set of players, but even then, you can change the character count each game. Setup requires that you commit to a character count before you complete the start of any individual game.

The main problem with changing players is that they lose the sense of story continuity. Also they will need to be brought up to date on they rule changes and evens that have transpired in their abscence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Yes, varying the number of players during the season is just fine, rules-wise.

Be aware that the game self-levels to the players' skill level, and consensus is that the game is easier with fewer players. So if you play several games with just two of you, you may find it quite challenging to then play a month with four.

Many couples have opted to take two characters each (making sure to play them completely independently, of course, each with its own cards etc.). If you can cope with that, you might find the extra variety and challenge more fun in any case, but it would also make it easier to slot extra players in from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is perfectly acceptable to change the number of players between games, I wouldn't recommend it unless the other folks you are playing with show up regularly. The thing is, new rules and actions get added just about every single month. The advantage of Pandemic Legacy is that it introduces rules gradually so that players don't feel completely overwhelmed. Even with that, people still end up accidentally overlooking rules, I know we did.

So if the other folks missed 2+ months in a row, it will take quite a bit of explanation in regards to what they missed in terms of story and rule changes. If they aren't HUGE gamers, that kind of information overload might be overwhelming.

I would suggest inviting them over for the very first game, just so everybody gets their feet wet at the same time and it will gauge their interest in sticking around for the entire year. Who knows, they might love it so much that they will come over more frequently to play every single month with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a point worth considering that the number of people around the table and the number of pawns on the map don't need to be equal - you can have 4 pawns played by 2, 3, 7, or any other number of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.