Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Cox
msg tools
When enemies are engaged with an investigator during the Enemy Phase do you just apply the damage to the investigator or does the investigator get a 'saving throw'/skill test?

The manual seems to suggest the damage is just applied but as the enemies get the benefit of a skill test why wouldn't the investigators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
It is just applied, assuming the enemy is Ready and Engaged. It's predictable damage and horror that the investigators must account for and manage accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AncientGamerUK wrote:
...the enemies get the benefit of a skill test why wouldn't the investigators?

One way to think about what's happening during combat is that the Enemy's skill test difficulty represents their Evasion, while the Investigators can make an active Evasion action, so each side has a representation of their effort to avoid damage, it's just that both of those are actively performed by the Investigators in the mechanics of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I was coming to check on. It read like it applied no matter what... which in my case resulted in insanity.

Playing my first game, doing the Gathering. I got hit by Rotting Remains and failed enough to take 2 horror, then Agenda 1 flips and I get hit with 2 more horror... Then Ghoul Priest spawns in the hallway, I'm out of actions and never got to attack (likely wouldn't have done enough damage to kill him first round anyhow) and then he levels his 2 more horror and I'm insane. Given the nature of Cthulhu horrors, I'm not sure I should count myself lucky that I escaped with only 3 damage but being driven insane.

I played it as it is, applies automatically, but did test just in case... failed the test anyhow. I had the dodge card, but was out of resources to play it. Lesson there, keep a resource on hand just for that.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to take a resource each upkeep, so that's probably why I ran out of resources so quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
R_Flagg wrote:
This is what I was coming to check on. It read like it applied no matter what... which in my case resulted in insanity.

Playing my first game, doing the Gathering. I got hit by Rotting Remains and failed enough to take 2 horror, then Agenda 1 flips and I get hit with 2 more horror... Then Ghoul Priest spawns in the hallway, I'm out of actions and never got to attack (likely wouldn't have done enough damage to kill him first round anyhow) and then he levels his 2 more horror and I'm insane. Given the nature of Cthulhu horrors, I'm not sure I should count myself lucky that I escaped with only 3 damage but being driven insane.

I played it as it is, applies automatically, but did test just in case... failed the test anyhow. I had the dodge card, but was out of resources to play it. Lesson there, keep a resource on hand just for that.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to take a resource each upkeep, so that's probably why I ran out of resources so quick.

One comment: the Ghoul Priest spawns at the end if the round (see the instructions on Act 2) ie. after the enemy phase, so you would not get attacked the round it appears, but would instead get a full round to deal with it. I am not sure it would make a difference, but it might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
One comment: the Ghoul Priest spawns at the end if the round (see the instructions on Act 2) ie. after the enemy phase, so you would not get attacked the round it appears, but would instead get a full round to deal with it. I am not sure it would make a difference, but it might.

I thought I did it that way, but then again, I didn't have any damage on him, and I'd find it impossible that all 3 attempts to do any damage failed, so perhaps I goofed that up too... Perhaps I solved the attic, with an action left moved to the hallway and revealed the other room... but it does say "when the round ends" so not as soon as I spend the clues... So I likely did goof that up. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
R_Flagg wrote:
Kløve wrote:

I thought I did it that way, but then again, I didn't have any damage on him, and I'd find it impossible that all 3 attempts to do any damage failed, so perhaps I goofed that up too... Perhaps I solved the attic, with an action left moved to the hallway and revealed the other room... but it does say "when the round ends" so not as soon as I spend the clues... So I likely did goof that up. Thanks.

It just sounded like you spawned him during your turn I just treat each rules mistake as an excuse to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.